schools w/ prereqs < 5yrs old

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

trickybenny

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which schools require the pre-reqs be completed within the last 5 yrs. That is a ridiculous rule just for the record. I'm pretty sure UNC Chapel hill has that requirement I'm pretty sure. I don't know of any others. I started college in August of 2000 and graduated in 2004, so my whole first year is past the 5 yr mark. Anyway, if anyone can list schools with that requirement it would be greatly appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

Loma Linda on the east side of L.A. Truely the city of angels. The school is kind of a quirky place so most people don't consider it a loss to not be able to apply.

University of Minnesota has that regulation too. But check with them whether yours is an exclusion since you have had continuation of other courseworks in the past 5 years.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in the same exact situation, started college in 2000 and graduated in 2004 and I'm in the process of applying right now. I'd really like to go to UNC-Chapel Hill's (went to undergrad there) so is their 5 year rule absolute? I have taken my physics/orgo/bio classes in the last year but does that mean i would have to take classes like english and gen chem all over again because i have also hit that 5 year mark?! Will they just throw out my app without even taking a second look at it? That's INSANE......

trickybenny said:
Which schools require the pre-reqs be completed within the last 5 yrs. That is a ridiculous rule just for the record. I'm pretty sure UNC Chapel hill has that requirement I'm pretty sure. I don't know of any others. I started college in August of 2000 and graduated in 2004, so my whole first year is past the 5 yr mark. Anyway, if anyone can list schools with that requirement it would be greatly appreciated

Not to be rude, but if your serious about becoming a dentist then - - -

WHY NOT RESEARCH THIS YOURSELF?

Call the school admissions department and ask your questions there.

You will not get the truth on this website, I see so many wrong replies its hard to tell if SDN helps or hurts an applicant.

vha7777 said:
I'm in the same exact situation, started college in 2000 and graduated in 2004 and I'm in the process of applying right now. I'd really like to go to UNC-Chapel Hill's (went to undergrad there) so is their 5 year rule absolute? I have taken my physics/orgo/bio classes in the last year but does that mean i would have to take classes like english and gen chem all over again because i have also hit that 5 year mark?! Will they just throw out my app without even taking a second look at it? That's INSANE......

Is english a requirement? or just a BS degree?

weird.

I contacted UNC, they will pretty much stick to the 5 year rule unless it's classes like gen chem and english BUT to get by the policy you have to do well on the DAT. Also helps you have recent course work to show your not totally out of the loop (why they have the policy in the first place) Phew, what a relief!