1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Schools Waiting for Verification?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by praying4MD, Oct 17, 2001.

1. praying4MD

praying4MD 2K Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I know this was a thread earlier, but I'm too lazy to dig it up, so here's a new one.

Does anyone know which schools are waiting for application verification before offering interviews? I was depressed about not getting an invite from one of my top choices. I called and they told me that if my application was verified, they would have offered me an invite long ago, but since it's not, I have to wait! :mad:

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Rumit

Rumit Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I know Stanford isn't even sending out secondaries without verification. Does anyone know about Northwestern and U of Chicago?

Adam

4. SMW

SMW Grand Member
    7+ Year Member

Adding Wake Forest. Which school did you call, praying4MD?

Stanford
    Wake Forest

5. praying4MD

praying4MD 2K Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I called Baylor, but in retrospect, I think the person I spoke to may have been high because I spoke to someone else & they said that they *are* granting interviews without complete verification. :confused:

Baylor interviewees: Were you verified before interviewing?

6. SMW

SMW Grand Member
    7+ Year Member

praying4MD, have you tried the "threatening legal action" approach (either an actual letter from an attorney or an e-mail from you saying to expect one if you don't get verified by such and such a date?) I definitely advise taking matters into your own hands, and not just sitting around (not that that's what you're doing!) and waiting for verification. When did you submit? Wasn't it eons ago?

7. praying4MD

praying4MD 2K Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Thanks for the advice SMW. Submitted Early July and the app hasn't been touched since. I'm still looking for a cheap lawyer (I called one today that was asking $300!!) :rolleyes: I'm racking my brain trying to figure out if I have any contacts-- guess I should've gone out with that law student, eh? ;) Anyway, I'll probably be sending the letter middle of next week if I find a lawyer, or one from me, this week because I am getting royally screwed over by AMCAS in many ways.

8. lilninja

lilninja Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I talked to some guy in the admissions office at USC last week and he told me they were only looking at verified applications right now. I mentioned to him that I submitted in July and had not been verified yet (I am now, but they still haven't gotten it yet) and he told me it's still early anyway. But he acknowledged the situation and pretty much said that there was nothing they could do except review everything as they got verifed applications. (time constraints) That stinks. My good friend at USC thinks it is a gross injustice that the schools (USC in particular) are not putting pressure on AMCAS to make things right. It bothers me to think that someone who was verified two months after me will be reviewed before me as well. (not so much that I think it will hurt me in the long run, but that I will hear later on, perhaps after having spent thousands of dollars flying around the country while one of my top choices is still waiting for AMCAS to figure it all out).

Sorry, that kind of came out like a venting fit. But I feel better now. :D

9. praying4MD

praying4MD 2K Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    PS: I'm wondering if the late verification & other AMCAS problems diminishes my chances significantly. It's really worrying to see others getting acceptances while I'm still waiting for verification so that I can get the interview. :(

Anyone have any idea on how these complications affect our admission chances, esp for rolling admissions schools?

10. lilninja

lilninja Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Yeah, I've wondered too.
    I mean, I think that someone, somewhere will take me. However, I can't help but think that had this been a regular year, I might have gotten my foot in the door for a really competitive school, that may not have the chance to notice me this year, amidst the chaos.
    I have been verified, but no one has gotten anything yet. People are already interviewing at Wake Forest, and I haven't even received their secondary yet and I submitted 7/8. I think I am going to boycott Wake Forest, and focus on the rest of the schools.

11. SMW

SMW Grand Member
    7+ Year Member

Send an e-mail detailing your problems to Nancy Tillinghast right now saying the next time she hears your name it will be from your lawyer -- she doesn't know you don't have one yet. Don't forget to mention the rolling admissions aspect and how people getting verified ahead of you are getting preferential treatment. See the thread "Nancy Tillinghast is a Saint!!!" for details.

As far as it hurting our chances, I think it may be hurting a slight bit, but not significantly. I just spoke to a lady in admissions at JHU, who started out rude but eventually warmed up, who said I was "lucky" to have been verified. There are lots and lots of good applicants with verification problems, and I don't think the medschools are going to compromise the quality of their classes just to take the first people verified. It seems like a lot of interviews and acceptances are being posted, but it's really just a tiny, tiny fraction of the numbers that will eventually be admitted.

12. SMW

SMW Grand Member
    7+ Year Member

lilninja, there is an edit function (the little pencil) that you might find useful. ;)

I don't think you should be discouraged. It is early. And I think the better schools will still be looking at apps carefully and not going strictly by numbers.

13. lilninja

lilninja Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey SMW - thanks! I had no idea! What a big dork I am.

14. SMW

SMW Grand Member
    7+ Year Member

So the list of schools known to be waiting for verification before granting interviews is now:

Keck
    Stanford
    Wake Forest

15. praying4MD

praying4MD 2K Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Thanks for your advice SMW! That email will be going out today for sure. The way you've been helping people out on this board recently, I think I should start a thread called, "SMW is a Saint!" Good luck in this harrowing process. :)

16. SMW

SMW Grand Member
    7+ Year Member

Aw, shucks! :oops: And thanks. :) I predict you'll hear from Nancy before the end of the week. :D

17. SMW

SMW Grand Member
    7+ Year Member

:confused: Why would someone verified 2 months after you get reviewed ahead of you? It's AMCAS that's screwed up on their ordering process, not the adcoms! Did I miss something?

18. lilninja

lilninja Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

no SMW - I messed up. I meant two months after I submitted. So basically, if someone submitted two months later and was verified faster, they would be reviewed earlier and interviewed earlier, even though I tried to be a good applicant and applied early.
    Most med schools are sympathetic to that, it's just that they have no choice in the matter.
    Oh well

19. jftsai

jftsai Member
    7+ Year Member

Wayne State too

20. SMW

SMW Grand Member
    7+ Year Member

So the list of schools known to be waiting for verification before granting interviews is now:

Keck
    Stanford
    Wake Forest
    Wayne State

21. praying4MD

praying4MD 2K Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    SMW: You will never believe what happened. I had my email ready to go out to Nancy (I like to think we're on a 1st name basis now.) I was about to press send when I thought I would just double check the status of my app before I did that.

Miraculously, I HAVE RED X'S! WOOHOO! It's really sad that I get so excited over something so trivial, but I can't contain my joy! :D 3 months and 5 days after my initial submission, I have the red x's. Wow.

So, obviously, i didn't send good ol' Nancy that email, and I just saved $300.

Thanks a million for the advice though.

BTW, What happens now? What sort of changes should I be looking for? All I have is the "Change-Notification" Button. What comes next?

Thanks again.

22. Resident Alien

7+ Year Member

Mount Sinai won't go ahead without verification too (atleast thats what they told me)

Keck
    Mt. Sinai
    Stanford
    Wake Forest
    Wayne State

23. praying4MD

praying4MD 2K Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Not for sure about this, but it's what I was told-- adding UNC-Chapel Hill

Keck
    Mt. Sinai
    UNC- Chapel Hill
    Stanford
    Wake Forest
    Wayne State

24. praying4MD

praying4MD 2K Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Adding Dartmouth

Dartmouth
    Keck
    Mt. Sinai
    UNC- Chapel Hill
    Stanford
    Wake Forest
    Wayne State

25. lorarp

lorarp Member
    7+ Year Member

Dartmouth should be taken off. I got an interview (and have gone on it already - the admissions staff there is so great!) without being verified - though I have since been verified! (It only took 3 months, 10 days)

26. praying4MD

praying4MD 2K Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    What is it with the admissions staff lying to me? Is it a conspiracy or something? :rolleyes: Thanks for the info.

Keck
    Mt. Sinai
    UNC- Chapel Hill
    Stanford
    Wake Forest
    Wayne State

27. SMW

SMW Grand Member
    7+ Year Member

Well, you're through the verification process when you have a date after Date Processed in the upper right hand corner of the first page on the "print application" screen. You should also have blue slashes and X's by your coursework to show that it's been verified.

Then, according to Nancy (we are on a first name basis!) schools that are set up to receive electronic transmission get your app immediately, others get a summary app (they go out in batches every Monday) and later (I'm not sure how much later) a paper app.

Congrats on being on the way! :D

28. Szkwicz

Szkwicz Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I'm unverified and I just got an interview offer for Wayne State on 10/30.
    Taking Wayne St. off the list...

Keck
    Mt. Sinai
    UNC- Chapel Hill
    Stanford
    Wake Forest

29. gettin'

gettin' Junior Member

add miami too

30. praying4MD

praying4MD 2K Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    New & improved List:

Keck
    Miami
    Mt. Sinai
    UNC- Chapel Hill
    Stanford
    Wake Forest

31. sandflea

sandflea Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

UIC will interview you without a verified app but won't act on your app (i.e. make a decision) until it IS verified. maybe every school is doing it this way, though...

32. Resident Alien

7+ Year Member

No, at least for case and mich. If i remember correctly, they will give conditional acceptances (signed by the student ofcourse), and make the student liable for any screw ups after the student looks over the unofficial app. and gives the ok.

33. ewells

ewells Big Daddy
    7+ Year Member

Until someone shows otherwise, I am adding Mayo and OHSU. They both told me they were waiting for verification before they reviewed apps. This was awhile ago, so it may have changed.
    Keck
    Mayo
    Miami
    Mt. Sinai
    UNC- Chapel Hill
    OHSU
    Stanford
    Wake Forest

34. Mage

Mage Member
    7+ Year Member

OHSU says this:

The Admissions Office made the decision to proceed with the interview process despite the fact that the majority of applications have yet to be verified by AMCAS. Whether your application is verified or unverified will not affect an applicant's ability to interview. Upon receipt of the printed application from AMCAS and submission of the Ohio State web secondary, application files are reviewed and considered for interview. This process is expected to continue through March.

So um, how do you get a secondary?

35. SMW

SMW Grand Member
    7+ Year Member

Do you have Oregon Health Sciences University confused with Ohio State?

OHSU will send you a secondary after you've submitted your AMCAS and AMCAS sends them your preliminary information.

36. Monkey5555

Monkey5555 Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

adding the Univ. of Colorado and Univ. of Vermont. I spoke with an admissions officer at UVM who said that they will be putting up some sort of website where applicants will be sent an ID # and pin (snail mail or email, she wasn't sure) and will be able to log on to see the grades/scores as they have them and verify that they are correct, or change something and submit proof. She wasn't sure when all that would be starting. :confused:

37. ewells

ewells Big Daddy
    7+ Year Member

This thread is about verification before interviews. I received a secondary from OHSU (not Ohio St.) while unverified, but I do not think they are offering interviews until they have the real thing.

38. praying4MD

praying4MD 2K Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    New list:

University of Colorado
    Keck
    Mayo
    Miami
    Mt. Sinai
    UNC- Chapel Hill
    OHSU
    Stanford
    University of Vermont
    Wake Forest

39. Dylann FMD

Dylann FMD Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Taking Mayo off the list. I had both my phone interview and scheduled my on-site interview before being verified.

University of Colorado
    Keck
    Miami
    Mt. Sinai
    UNC- Chapel Hill
    OHSU
    Stanford
    University of Vermont
    Wake Forest

40. The Fly

The Fly Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I am taking Sinai off the list since i've interviewed there and I am nearing the four month mark without being verified!

University of Colorado
    Keck
    Miami
    UNC- Chapel Hill
    OHSU
    Stanford
    University of Vermont
    Wake Forest

41. ewells

ewells Big Daddy
    7+ Year Member

Dammit Dylann, you just broke my heart. I guess I'm back to no news is good news.

42. praying4MD

praying4MD 2K Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Taking out UNC-Chapel Hill

University of Colorado
    Keck
    Miami
    OHSU
    Stanford
    University of Vermont
    Wake Forest

43. Resident Alien

7+ Year Member

Im re-adding Mt. Sinai, since the admissions office INSISTS they won't go ahead without the verified application!

University of Colorado
    Keck
    Miami
    Mt. Sinai
    OHSU
    Stanford
    University of Vermont
    Wake Forest