Schools with 1st yr OOS Tution, than 2nd yr In-State Tution?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DanceArtist

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everybody!

I had a friend who interviewed at South Florida as an OOS applicant and he was told during his interview process that after the 1st year, he would be able to get In-State Tuition. THUS, I was wondering if anyone know of any other schools that were like this? This information would definitely be valuable for me on where to apply this summer so I'm not over $200,000 in debt by the end of med school! lol

Members don't see this ad.

I believe all the schools in Ohio and the public schools in NY are also like this

Members don't see this ad :)
sweet! i'll look into those schools. Do you know if this particular type of information would be advertised/listed on their website? it's definitely not in MSAR that's for sure haha

sweet! i'll look into those schools. Do you know if this particular type of information would be advertised/listed on their website? it's definitely not in MSAR that's for sure haha

It's not based on the school, it's based on the state. So just look up the laws determining residency claims for educational purposes for the state(s) of the schools you're interested in applying to. So for example, I believe Wisconsin requires individuals to be living and working in the state for at least a year to be considered a resident (amongst other things). You cannot attend school during that time. So, therefore, you wouldn't be able to claim residency status after a year at either the University of Wisconsin or MCW.

Also keep in mind that some states that do allow you to get in-state status after the first year require financial independence. That means no getting money from mom/dad or other sources for anything -- food, rent, etc. Everything must be covered by loans. Pretty sure Ohio is like this. So be sure to look up laws very carefully.

Last edited:
Please let me add this: ALL california public schools.