Schools with best funding/scholarships?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gumbyj

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Masters or doctoral? What area of concentration? For Master's, funding will be more scarce - UofW gives full tuition if you manage to find an RA position w/ a PI who has grant $. For doctoral, better chance to get departmental or univ-wide scholarships/grants though it may not cover all. If you're a US citizen, most Epi doctoral students I know have NIH training grants that cover most or all fees plus a stipend, though it is usually specific to certain areas of study.

UofW gives full tuition if you manage to find an RA position w/ a PI who has grant $.

RA position? With a Pl?

What do these abbreviations mean? Please excuse my ignorance -- I am a law student interested in possibly pursuing an MHA or MPH after law school. UW (if you're talking about Washington) is also my school, so this info would be tremendously helpful. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
RA=research assistant
PI=principal investigator

Basically if someone who has an ongoing research project needs a research assistant, he/she may hire students

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile app

I am referring to MPH/MS programs.

I know funding is extremely limited, but historically which schools offer the most scholarships/grants/fellowships/TA positions or need based aid (not in the form of loans)?

When I applied, I received the most generous package (a mix of merit and need based) from Yale and nothing from Tulane. Initially, I didn't receive anything from UIC (where I ended up) but I was able to find something on my own in terms of a RA position that covered my tuition and paid a stipend. However, I was an in-state resident so it made it a bit easier to get a tuition waiver.

Thank you, xoromanticide. So, how does one go about finding someone in need of a research assistant? Lots of networking prior to the application process? Are there postings somewhere? And what're my chances of landing a research assistant position with no health or hard sciences background... heh.

Thank you, xoromanticide. So, how does one go about finding someone in need of a research assistant? Lots of networking prior to the application process? Are there postings somewhere? And what're my chances of landing a research assistant position with no health or hard sciences background... heh.

Well I'm currently a research assistant and I got the position by contacting a professor who I have similar research interests as. I didn't have research experience and knew very little. She interviewed me and chose me for her team. I was trained very well and now I can run analyses, I write code books, interview participants and more. I have had a fulfilling experience so far and I started with no experience. I'm sure some professors want students with some general knowledge but they're very open to training students with the right mind frame. I'd say to contact professors that you are interested in and see what happens! Good luck!!