Schools with no class rank..a disadvantage?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TX_Longhorn

OU sucks
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi guys,

i'm still an M1 but am concerned about the fact that out school does not rank students anymore (stupid new curriculum). However, the AOA is still in place which is what confuses me. i mean how can u not be ranked and still be able to select students for AOA?

so back to my original question. any of u think that not having a class rank would work against u?

thanks guys

Members don't see this ad.

I'm also at a school which does not rank students but has AOA. I'm pretty sure they have some ranking of us, as at the end of basic sciences the top students recieved awards. I don't think it hurts us because in the Dean's letter you submit with residency apps, the very last sentence basically ranks you...Johnny Joe Joe is an _____ candidate for a house officer (_____ = outstanding > excellent > very good > good > fair). This sentence is the most important one in the entire letter, and Program Directors understand this. Also, a lot of the top schools won't numerically rank their students anyway (or even have AOA). So, work as hard as you can and you'll get recognized for/benefit from your achievements in the end, but won't have to worry about who is "better" or "worse" than you. Good luck.

It doesnt make any difference (at least it hasnt for me). Even if they dont rank you and dont have AOA, program directors can figure out where you stand. They can look at your USMLE score, clinical grades and that famous last sentence in the Deans letter.

I wouldnt worry about it. Just do the best you can and people will be able to tell exactly where you stand.