Schools with on-campus rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mjos22

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if people could list schools that have an affiliation with a teaching hospital on campus for students to do their year 3 and 4 clinical rotations.

For example, I know DMU and MSUCOM only have a clinical center on campus and must travel off-campus (sometimes a far distance) to do their rotations. I think at UNECOM, students can do their rotations throughout the new england area, but i'm not sure.

Thank you for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

UMDNJ has a hospital on campus and all of the teaching hospitals are within 20 minutes of the school.

Nate, Is that the Lady of Lourdes Medical Center? What are the other primary teaching hospitals?

Members don't see this ad :)
UMDNJ has a hospital on campus and all of the teaching hospitals are within 20 minutes of the school.

You look like an actor from friends in your picture -- the rich Bill Gates-type millionaire that Monica dates that she eventually leaves bc he wants to win the Underground fighting championship but instead gets the **** kicked out of him every fight...:laugh:

If I come to UMDNJ for an interview (however unlikely it may be), do you think we could meet and discuss pros and cons etc?

Yes OSU-COM has their own hospital (with residency programs) which is across the river from the school as well as affliated hospitals all across the state including one in Oklahoma City and a few others in the Tulsa metro area.

Nate, Is that the Lady of Lourdes Medical Center? What are the other primary teaching hospitals?
Kennedy and OLOL are primary within 20 mins of the school. Christ Hospital is up in north jersey. If you scroll down to the bottom of the page it also lists them.

PCOM has affliated hospitals within the philadelphia area as well as eastern PA but doesn't have a "hospital" that is directly associated with it.

MSU has one of the largest osteopathic hospitals in the country in Garden City, not sure how close to campus it is though. I know its not in the same city.

Those are the ones off the top of my head. I believe KCOM also has a hospital.

KCOM has its own hospital.

I don't go there, but I heard it was a trauma I hospital. Not sure could be wrong.

MSU has one of the largest osteopathic hospitals in the country in Garden City, not sure how close to campus it is though. I know its not in the same city.

Do MSU-COM and MSU-CHM students rotate together?

Is there any added value to doing your clinical rotations on/near campus? More importantly I suppose, are there any drawbacks of having to go to a hospital 500 miles away in order to do your rotations? Other than "I like the city in which the campus is located"?

Is there any added value to doing your clinical rotations on/near campus? More importantly I suppose, are there any drawbacks of having to go to a hospital 500 miles away in order to do your rotations? Other than "I like the city in which the campus is located"?

this is a good question. I think generally it is better if the school has on-campus rotations since it is easier for the student (dont have to find your own rotation/dont have to find new housing) and the experience can be standardized by the school. However, if you want to go do a residency at hospital X, it might benificial to set up your own rotation at hospital X so the director gets to know you.

if you have a family

Some schools might have you in different cities every month. OR just a few months at a time. That can be a pain in the ass to find housing if it isn't provided and living out of a suitcase is a PITA if you ask me. Or if you are one year here and one year there and you don't mind moving then no problem. But I think families are a part of why its nice to stay in one area. Plus, its nice to have access to your schools resources. You are still a member there and pay for them. Such as using the computer lab to print off some case reports if need it on a weekend, etc. Or if you need to get something from the school. I know many 3rd/4th yrs that are in the vicinity of the medical school and still are there on a semi-regular basis for various reasons.

I think location is a big factor as well as having access to elective rotations. I think most people would prefer to stay in one place for all their clinical rotations and leave if necessary for interview rotations or electives, rather than move around every month. Being in an area that provides multiple options for hospital rotations is nice.