Schools with opportunities like Stanford's scholarly concentration program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Signifier

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone could share their knowledge of U.S. med schools - which ones (if any?) offer programs or opportunities similar to Stanford's Scholarly Concentration Program? The idea of training to become a physician, while focusing on a specific scholarly interest, is highly appealing. However, I have some doubts about my chances at Stanford - although I have good numbers, I took some pre-reqs at a community college and I believe that Stanford does not accept community college credits.

Regardless of whether I can get into Stanford or not, are there other schools with stuff like this? I am especially interested in the Biomedical Ethics and Medical Humanities concentration that Stanford offers its MDs..

Thank you for sharing what you know!

Members don't see this ad.

Duke condenses years 1 and 2 into one year, freeing up a year for you to do basically anything you want--usually research. Pitt also has a scholarly project requirement that is typically a longitudinal research project.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone could share their knowledge of U.S. med schools - which ones (if any?) offer programs or opportunities similar to Stanford's Scholarly Concentration Program? The idea of training to become a physician, while focusing on a specific scholarly interest, is highly appealing. However, I have some doubts about my chances at Stanford - although I have good numbers, I took some pre-reqs at a community college and I believe that Stanford does not accept community college credits.

Regardless of whether I can get into Stanford or not, are there other schools with stuff like this? I am especially interested in the Biomedical Ethics and Medical Humanities concentration that Stanford offers its MDs..

I think Baylor has a variety of "tracks" you can follow throughout 4 years, and ethics is one of them. Case has a 4 year MD/MA in Biomedical Ethics. Columbia is big in narrative medicine. Short answer, a lot of schools offer opportunities to pursue other academic interests.

Hi all,

I've met a couple of MD/PhDs in philosophy and bioethics. That's always an option, though funded positions for non-science MSTPs are quite competitive and it may be a great time commitment than you are interested in.