Schools with tuition free 5th years?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jram2323

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anybody either list these schools or direct me to a thread with a list of tuition free fifth year schools? thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I've never heard of such a thing. What is the fifth year for? Some people take a research year for which they may not pay any tuition. I'm sure that's possible at most if not all schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
Emory has a tuition-free 5th year as well. Penn also has "Fifth year fellowships," but I'm not entirely sure about whether it's in fact tuition-free.

The University of Rochester has this.

What's the purpose of the fifth year? It looks like U of Rochester has one for undergraduates but I can't find anything for medicine.

Oh. Just realized you are talking about undergraduate. Nevermind

Can anybody either list these schools or direct me to a thread with a list of tuition free fifth year schools? thanks

CCLCM (Case Western's Cleveland Clinic college track) has a 5th year that is free. But that is because its 5-year program has no tuition for all 5 years.

if you're talking about med school, i'm pretty sure most schools would allow you to take a leave of absence for a year without penalty. a lot of people do that at my school in order to do research, get an MPH, etc. you don't need a special "5th year" program to do that, and if you take a leave of absence, you don't pay tuition anyway. but, see below...

even though it's tuition free, the interest still adds up, no?

always :cry:

A lot of schools have this in some form, especially those with a lot of research funding. For example, my school offers a tuition-free year + stipend if you get your year approved.

Also, I know I have seen threads with this same topic so a search might get you some results.

if you're talking about med school, i'm pretty sure most schools would allow you to take a leave of absence for a year without penalty. a lot of people do that at my school in order to do research, get an MPH, etc. you don't need a special "5th year" program to do that, and if you take a leave of absence, you don't pay tuition anyway. but, see below...

Question: if you just take time off and aren't part of the "program" for that year, aren't you no longer a student and won't you start to be responsible for your loans just like you start being responsible 6 mos after graduating undergrad? If the school has a 5th year program you are then still a student and don't have to pay...right?