Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Schools you wouldnt attend

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Hershi, May 14, 2007.

1. Hershi

5+ Year Member

Soo Im curious to know what are some of the schools in this nation that you wouldnt attend and why?...What are some of the lower tier schools?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. DrVanNostran

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I for one, would attend ANY school :)

4. jazzman84

jazzman84 Destination darkroom
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    If it were an accredited school, I'd even go someplace like "Bob's House-O-MDs"

5. braluk

braluk SDN Surgerynator
    Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    If you are faced with the possibility of not getting into medical schools, you'll quickly figure out that you'll be ready to attend any medical school that will throw you a bone. If there's any reason why someone doesn't attend a certain medical school (and shouldn't even apply there in the first place) it should strictly be because of location (rural vs. urban area, east versus west, etc...) and perhaps cost (state tuition), and maybe the possibility of serving in the military vs. not (UHSUS). The so called "lower-tier" school is a fairly inaccurate assessment of ranks that should not be taken into account if deciding to attend a school or not. Most of your decisions to attend a school or not probably falls on instinct, that is, if you really loved a school, but it was "lower-tier", I would certainly hope that your decision to decline that school is not based around its rank given by a news organization.

6. Law2Doc

Law2Doc 5K+ Member
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Med school are among the more competitive graduate education, and the number of seats are quite limited as compared to the number of applicants. Half of all applicants to US allo will not get in each year (and this is from an already significantly self-selected applicant pool), and all schools are selecting classes from literally thousands of applicants. As such there are no "bad" US allo med schools. There may be some you like better than others, for a variety of reasons, which is how your question really ought to have been phrased so as not to inflame people.

7. blargh

blargh Membership Revoked
    Removed

Pre-Psychology
    harvard

yeah, right.

8. jochi1543

jochi1543 President, Gunner Central
    2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    Loma Linda, because of the religion. But they wouldn't take an incarnation of Devil that is me anyway.:laugh:

9. alwaysaangel

5+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Resident [Any Field]
    Yale - I'm serious - that whole self motivation no test thing would screw me.

Other than that I would have gone to ANY med school in the US if it came down to it. There are regions of the US I would have been pretty depressed in (not so good with the cold) and I'm going to be thrilled if I get into a Cali school.

But beyond that - anywhere and everywhere that would have given me a US-accredited MD degree.

10. greeniz

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    haha, same feelings here, i need stress in my life to keep me motivated!

11. alwaysaangel

5+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Resident [Any Field]
    Exactly! What good is procrastination and last minute cramming if there's nothing to cram for?!

12. IceMan0824

IceMan0824 Holy crip, he's a crapple
    5+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Step I

13. alwaysaangel

5+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Resident [Any Field]
    That would be a bit much after 2 years.

I was mostly kidding anyway - I know all my study habits have to change in med school (I wasn't too bad of a procrastinator in undergrad either). But a big test 2 years in the future seriously wouldn't be enough motivator for me and I would definitely not do well at Yale.

14. braluk

braluk SDN Surgerynator
    Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Although I wonder if you can take prep courses during those two years to gear your studying towards boards rather than learn all of it through traditional textbooks and then having to relearn only a portion of it for the boards.

15. notdeadyet

notdeadyet Still in California
    Moderator 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    And the tuition is half off if you enroll before 10:00 a.m. on weekdays. Void where prohibited.

16. gsmithers68

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    P = MD

I don't see any coefficient in this equation for the school's prestige or tier

17. ssquared

ssquared Member
    2+ Year Member

Other Health Professions Student
    And the guy who graduates last in his class?

Oh, yeah, he's still an MD.

(personally, I prefer to attend an urban school....but I'm such an underdog in this process that I would take an acceptance to a school in the middle of the Alaskan tundra)

18. Doctor~Detroit

Doctor~Detroit this poll sux!!!
    2+ Year Member

stanford is 2 ez

19. apnea

apnea Forgot the safe word...
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    NOWHERE in the deep south. Arkansas, Louisiana, Georgia, etc. i'd rather go to the Caribbean than go back there (i was born in arkansas, i left the second i was legally able to).

But Florida doesn't count.

20. Gene Therapist

Gene Therapist Membership Revoked
    Removed

I wouldnt go to GW or Temple. I am not into that whole dishonest physicians scandal that went on at those two places, plus my friend goes to GW and says :barf: . But any other school I would be waiting at the door!

21. shaggybill

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]

I'm just the opposite. I don't think I'd go to any school that wasn't in the South. I can't imagine spending 4 years somewhere north of the Mason Dixon. I'd get depressed and fail out.

*shivers*

22. AGDJenni

AGDJenni William Hung, my antidrug
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    What was the dishonest physician scandals? I am not sure I heard about that.

23. durfen

durfen I see plans within plans
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    You've probably seen this in the posts above this one, but to summarize, it's not so much 'lower-tier' that counts a school out as the school itself. Things like location and other non-quantitative measures would count a school out. Places like Hopkins for example, was on my 'bottom of the top-tier' list. Temple was right out. Still I would have gone anywhere that accepted me and not apply again.

24. djones473

2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    I wouldn't attend a school that was in the midwest... or really anywhere except the east coast or west coast.. just because I couldn't imagine living there.

25. ADeadLois

ADeadLois Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Hollywood Upstairs Medical College.

26. durfen

durfen I see plans within plans
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Loma Linda actually isn't that bad religion-wise. An attending I know says he could still drink coffee :thumbup:

27. pennybridge

pennybridge Membership Revoked
    Removed

anywhere outside of California.

edit// but not loma linda

28. Sophie

Sophie Lead Foot
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Any school out in the middle of nowhere (e.g. Dartmouth). However, if it came down to either not being a U.S.-trained M.D., or going to a rural school, I would very willingly go to a rural school.

29. Akimbo752

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I wouldn't go to Loma Linda either (7th Day Adventists -- they had to retitle their religion when the world didn't end). Or anywhere in West Virginia.

30. apnea

apnea Forgot the safe word...
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Really?? Maybe it's just because my life there sucked so much...but you really couldn't pay me to go back there. What do you like so much about it?

31. holafarita

2+ Year Member

being in the position that i am, i think i'd fling myself shamelessly at any med school. i don't know all the schools well, but i guess if there was one with really shady ethics, i'd not go. but even then, perhaps going there (if i had no other choice) would be an opportunity to make a difference.

32. Flopotomist

Flopotomist I love the Chicago USPS
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    NYMC - wouldn't want the equivalent of a burning cross on my lawn lit by the administration there (openly anti-gay formal policies are absurd)

Loma Linda (I need my coffee)

Yale - wouldn't do well with the curriculum there - don't have enough discipline and know I would probably fail

33. pennybridge

Removed

wow really? link?

edit// holy christ! (pun intended!)

double edit// btw I <3 google I typed in "NYMC gay" and this was the first hit hahaha

34. Flopotomist

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    http://www.amsa.org/news/release2.cfx?id=195

Just google NYMC and Gay.

They have since changed their policy, but the fact that the current dean used phrases (homosexual agenda, lifestyle, propaganda etc) that are blatantly offensive and yet still works there is enough for me to say no thanks.

Medical school is hard enough without the added pressure of doing battle with administration over something like this.

35. pennybridge

Removed

seriously. I mean, I didn't apply anywhere in NY out of principle but I had no idea this had even happened.

36. spospo

spospo Going to extremes
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    it isn't that bad in the middle. i am from a coastal state (WA) and went to undergrad in denver. yes, i often feel a little landlocked, and i make fun of colorado cuz it shaped like a box, but still, it isn't as bad as i thought it was going to be. i am in the middle for another 4 years (creighton), but i don't think it will be bad at all. this is just me personally, but i would have a hard time at an east coast school. my bro and sis were east coast for undergrad and said it was a totally different way of living.

37. jochi1543

2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    Haha, see, I'd enjoy living there! I lived in Biloxi for 1 summer and really liked the atmosphere and the climate, even though as an atheist, I may not fit in as well as some more religious folks would. But hey, we can tolerate one another 99% of the time on both ends.

38. FenderHM

FenderHM Where there's a will...
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    this is really blown out of proportion, this group is alive and active at NYMC and since I've been here (almost a year now) the admin has been student-friendly and open and I've really not felt a twinge of catholic-dogma in the curriculum

39. jochi1543

2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    I went to undergrad in Minnesota (moved there from DC/MD). Outside of the occasional freezing days in the winter, I had a good time. Of course, there's still variation (e.g. Fargo is an entirely different place from Minneapolis-St. Paul despite only being 5 hours away), but Chicago and MSP are great places to live. You got everything you could ever need and the cost of living is still reasonable.....and unlike somewhere in NYC, the rural/outdoorsy stuff is just an hour's drive away. No ocean is the only downside, but I'll trade the beach for a 3x drop in rent.:laugh:

40. UMP

UMP Recovered Under-Achiever
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    anywhere outside the great lakes area would suck... east coast people suck, west coast people are crazy... and the south is just the south

41. Flopotomist

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I am not sure "blown out of proportion" is appropriate. If it was any other group in society that was prevented from meeting, the outrage would require that the Dean be shown to the door. The group may be alive now, but the obstacles that they faced to get there were telling. Given that there are some ~130 medical schools that are not trapped in the 1950s I chose not to even bother applying to NYMC. The thread asked where I wouldn't go - NYMC is the answer. I have given my reasons.

42. pennybridge

Removed

lol the Jewish Medical Student Group got disbanded for not adhering to the Roman Catholic ideals of not killing jesus.

:thumbup: for living in the stone age!

43. FenderHM

FenderHM Where there's a will...
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    thats cool... dont get me wrong catholicism is f-ed up on many levels IMHO, I just like NYMC I think its a good program I'd hate to see people discouraged from applying because of a past problem that has been resolved. And if they try to shove any more dogma down our throats I guarantee I'll be the first one in line to protest

44. greg1184

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    FSU, because I learned that they have a bias towards Family Medicine. Nothing against Family Medicine, but I would like my options to be open in terms of a specialty. If you have an innate interest in Family Medicine, FSU is most likely great for you.

45. DCDAWG

DCDAWG Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Why must you rag on Georgia? I would argue that Georgia is the only place a lot of people would live in the South. Atlanta is just like any other big city in the country.

46. tacrum43

tacrum43 Behold the mighty echidna
    7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Resident [Any Field]
    So...if I'm from California and now live on the East Coast, does that mean I'm crazy and I suck? :p

47. pennybridge

Removed

maybe you suck like crazy? :laugh:

48. UMP

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    yes, that's exactly what it means... but mostly you are crazy

49. UMP

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    ummm... easy on the Catholic bashing... AECOM had the same situations recently

50. Doctor Bagel

Doctor Bagel so cheap and juicy
    Moderator Emeritus 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I'm not a huge fan of the south, either, but Arkansas beats Oklahoma any day of the week. At least it's sort of pretty, and Little Rock and Fayetteville seem to have a decent amount of hippies and weird people. I went to the liberal school in Arkansas, though, and didn't grow up there, so that probably changes my judgments a bit. Atlanta's a huge city, so it would have all types, and Louisiana's got New Orleans, which is a super cool place.

51. pennybridge

Removed

so is it all religiously-affiliated schools or just new york schools? :smuggrin: