Schools you wouldnt attend

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
so is it all religiously-affiliated schools or just new york schools? :smuggrin:

they are private schools... shouldn't they be able to do whatever they want? :confused: If you don't like it, don't go there...

Members don't see this ad.

they are private schools... shouldn't they be able to do whatever they want? :confused: If you don't like it, don't go there...

despite the fact that I personally disagree with that sort of policy, sure, it's their sandbox, they can make the rules.

Of course, this thread is about schools you wouldn't attend and why. So there you go. ;)

They still get some government funding.

Also, I have a feeling that if we had a private school with an official KKK chapter or neo-Nazi on campus, the sentiments would be different.

Members don't see this ad :)

Also, I have a feeling that if we had a private school with an official KKK chapter or neo-Nazi on campus, the sentiments would be different.

what like Harvard?

A private school would have the right to ban such a group, whereas a public school would have to let it be... Separation of the public and private sector goes both ways

The ones that do not accept me.

A private school would have the right to ban such a group, whereas a public school would have to let it be... Separation of the public and private sector goes both ways
On a related note, does anyone remember that incident maybe 3-5 years ago where a group of students at some school created a "white male" scholarship, which was promtly squashed by the school? Which school was that?

On a related note, does anyone remember that incident maybe 3-5 years ago where a group of students at some school created a "white male" scholarship, which was promtly squashed by the school? Which school was that?

Stanford

Really?? Maybe it's just because my life there sucked so much...but you really couldn't pay me to go back there. What do you like so much about it?

I just like the atmosphere, the people, and the fact that I don't have to specify that I want my tea to be sweet. The climate beats the rest of the country hands down, and being close to the coast means that I can get fresh baby flounder any day of the week.

Also, I'm not a big-city kind of person. I like the occasional foray into Megatroplis, but I'd much rather spend my time out in the woods enjoying the outdoors.

ummm... easy on the Catholic bashing... AECOM had the same situations recently

sorry UMP i meant no disrespect, i should have said "certain aspects of catholicism seem incapable with the ideals of medicine"

I just like the atmosphere, the people, and the fact that I don't have to specify that I want my tea to be sweet. The climate beats the rest of the country hands down, and being close to the coast means that I can get fresh baby flounder any day of the week.

Also, I'm not a big-city kind of person. I like the occasional foray into Megatroplis, but I'd much rather spend my time out in the woods enjoying the outdoors.

But you're not so close to the coast in a good portion of the south and are close to the coast in lots of northern places. There are also lots of rural spots north of the Mason-Dixon line, and the climate in lots of places in the south sucks unless you think muggy hot weather most of the year is great. And sweet tea's spreading -- you can get it in lots of posts these days. :)

I guess my thought is that most regions have nice things, so it doesn't make sense to reflexively say you don't want to live in the north or the south or the midwest ...

I don't know that much about law, but I don't think it's quite that simple. It would probably depend on what the actions of the group were. A group that incites to violence or hate crimes would probably not fly. A group that simply discussed or promoted the idea of racial superiority would probably be left alone.

And the idea that private entities are free to do as they please is also serious oversimplification, as I understand it. The government isn't just a source of cash that can cut funds if an organization doesn't follow the law.

Members don't see this ad :)
Soo Im curious to know what are some of the schools in this nation that you wouldnt attend and why?

I wouldnt go to any D.O. schools.

They make women strip down to gym shorts & sports bras.

Wait....

Where did you hear that?
The DO curriculum involves a certain amount of practicing on your classmates, which in turn involves said classmates shedding a certain amount of their clothing.

Correction, TOP CHOICE medical school!

That's just a stupid rumor. Some schools used to do that, but then they got worried about sexual harassment issues, so they stopped. Now nobody is allowed to practice any clinical exam techniques until you get into the wards during MS3 year.
Weird, we had lots of partner practice even when I did my First Aid/CPR C. However, they did group us by gender.

That's just a stupid rumor. Some schools used to do that, but then they got worried about sexual harassment issues, so they stopped. Now nobody is allowed to practice any clinical exam techniques until you get into the wards during MS3 year.
Dammit

Not true.

DO schools have OMM lab. In OMM lab dress code is as follows:

Men: gym shorts & t-shirt (which must be removed)
Women: gym shorts & t-shirt (which must be removed), sports bra underneath

We are a bit more easy going than our MD b ethren!

Do you get to remove your partner's shirt, or do they do it themself? ;)

In lab they remove their own.

Post exam parties, you remove it for them.

I agree with many of the posts already--- If its acreditted, Id go if I had no other acceptances...

Not true.

DO schools have OMM lab. In OMM lab dress code is as follows:

Men: gym shorts & t-shirt (which must be removed)
Women: gym shorts & t-shirt (which must be removed), sports bra underneath

We are a bit more easy going than our MD b ethren!

When I toured one of the osteopathic schools a month ago, when we walked into the OMM lab, there were two girls in the exact clothes that you describe. I think half the tour said the school was thier first choice after that :laugh:

If it were an accredited school, I'd even go someplace like "Bob's House-O-MDs"

I second that, I would go to any school that accepts me, but then again I only have a 3.46

When I toured one of the osteopathic schools a month ago, when we walked into the OMM lab, there were two girls in the exact clothes that you describe. I think half the tour said the school was thier first choice after that :laugh:

It definately makes the year go by quicker, especially if you are in the right lab group. :)

I went to undergrad in Minnesota (moved there from DC/MD). Outside of the occasional freezing days in the winter, I had a good time. Of course, there's still variation (e.g. Fargo is an entirely different place from Minneapolis-St. Paul despite only being 5 hours away), but Chicago and MSP are great places to live. You got everything you could ever need and the cost of living is still reasonable.....and unlike somewhere in NYC, the rural/outdoorsy stuff is just an hour's drive away. No ocean is the only downside, but I'll trade the beach for a 3x drop in rent.:laugh:

?? rural outdoorsy stuff is an hour drive away from NYC

I would love to go to JHU, but I would hate to have to go to JHU everyday. It is like a demilitarized zone. Go a block off campus and you could have real issues. No thanks.

what's wrong with NY schools? Besides the obvious NYMC fiasco...

not the schools, the state :laugh:

I'm a californian, I'm not jewish, NY has nothing to offer me. I consider it a vacation destination, not some place I'd like to spend any serious amount of time.

I wouldn't go to any school that accepts me, as clearly there must be something wrong with that school.

I would love to go to JHU, but I would hate to have to go to JHU everyday. It is like a demilitarized zone. Go a block off campus and you could have real issues. No thanks.

Very true

Same thing with Yale and Penn

Of course... If I got into JHU I'd probably go... or Yale... or Penn... hmmm

So much for all that

Of course... If I got into JHU I'd probably go... or Yale... or Penn... hmmm

So much for all that

JHU is definately the worst of the three.

I have lived within walking distance to both Yale and Penn, but I never dared live near JHU.

I was hoping all the smarts would waft into my apartment and into my head.

I wuz rong.

I'm not a huge fan of the south, either, but Arkansas beats Oklahoma any day of the week. At least it's sort of pretty, and Little Rock and Fayetteville seem to have a decent amount of hippies and weird people. I went to the liberal school in Arkansas, though, and didn't grow up there, so that probably changes my judgments a bit. Atlanta's a huge city, so it would have all types, and Louisiana's got New Orleans, which is a super cool place.

Ugh, Oklahoma is a total armpit. Arkansas has this tiny little town called Eureka Springs, it's the saving grace of the entire state. i love it there. It's built into the side of a mountain, you can always find a really awesome cup of coffee and vegan food even at 5 in the morning and you're never more than a mile from an art gallery. It was basically founded by a bunch of hippies who loved blues and booze and everyone that goes there instantly loves it.

When i went to Mardi Gras in 2002 i met this really drunk hooker...she was looking for a joint but she threw up on my boots instead so she gave me a little bag full of coke (i think) that she said would cover the cost of new boots :scared: It was a little weird...but she was really nice and she got us a cab back to the hotel. It was such an awesome town :love:

Ugh, Oklahoma is a total armpit. Arkansas has this tiny little town called Eureka Springs, it's the saving grace of the entire state. i love it there. It's built into the side of a mountain, you can always find a really awesome cup of coffee and vegan food even at 5 in the morning and you're never more than a mile from an art gallery. It was basically founded by a bunch of hippies who loved blues and booze and everyone that goes there instantly loves it.

I got married in Eureka Springs! That whole Christ of the Ozarks thing is pretty lame, but other than that, I agree it's a really cool town. Sorta funny story -- I stayed in this motel out by the passion play stuff there, and their billboard read --

"Christ is lord, Enjoy our pool"

It was like they thought the two concepts tied together somehow. :)

Hmm, maybe Oklahoma can take on Mississippi.

It's built into the side of a mountain, you can always find a really awesome cup of coffee and vegan food even at 5 in the morning and you're never more than a mile from an art gallery. It was basically founded by a bunch of hippies who loved blues and booze and everyone that goes there instantly loves it.

:eek:

I'll take my chances with the bible belt!

No South or Midwest for me.

I prefer Boston to Washington DC metro areas............ and California of course.

?? rural outdoorsy stuff is an hour drive away from NYC
Yeah, except for you can't have a car in NYC....and it takes like 2 hours to get out of the city to begin with, so a trip somewhere 60 miles outside city limits is like a daylong affair.

But you're not so close to the coast in a good portion of the south and are close to the coast in lots of northern places. There are also lots of rural spots north of the Mason-Dixon line, and the climate in lots of places in the south sucks unless you think muggy hot weather most of the year is great. And sweet tea's spreading -- you can get it in lots of posts these days. :)

I guess my thought is that most regions have nice things, so it doesn't make sense to reflexively say you don't want to live in the north or the south or the midwest ...

But you can't get (good) fried okra, collared greens, turnip greens, hush puppies, and good fried chicken with that "sweet" tea in the North.

I like hot, muggy weather. The hotter and the muggier, the better.

While I like pretty much anything about the outdoors, most of my interests in it can be found in the South in numbers better than that of the rest of the country. If you're wondering what that could be, think reptiles. :)

I've lived in the north, and also in the midwest, and finally came back to my home-state. For me, nothing is better than sipping sweet tea on your porch and talking it up with the neighbours on a warm, muggy, southern summertime evening. :thumbup:

But you can't get (good) fried okra, collared greens, turnip greens, hush puppies, and good fried chicken with that "sweet" tea in the North.
You forgot grits and Waffle House.:D

And seriously, I was craving fried gator just yesterday.:thumbup:

yeah the sentiments would be different and so would the application figures. I belive that unless we're going to be a nation of nothing but state authorized strictly pc institutions (which I know no one wants) then a private institution should be able to have a unique character to it. If Christian hospital systems want crosses on the wall so be it. If Loma Linda wants to avoid serving coffee in their cafeteria ok. If Catholic med schools and hospitals want to forgo offering abortion services ok. If that jewish med school (name escapes me) wants to have elevators that stop on each floor so the orthodox jews can avoid punching the buttons on the sabbath then fine. If a Muslim institution were to ban a society that promoted beer drinking then fine.

In order to be free, people have to have a certain freedom to be opposed to things.

If any institution liberal or conservative, crazy religous or militantly atheistic institutes policies that destroy their pool of willing students then they'll either change or die. The market is great in that respect.

sorry UMP i meant no disrespect, i should have said "certain aspects of catholicism seem incapable with the ideals of medicine"

What does that mean? Is abortion an ideal of medicine? Virtually all religions contain some supernatural elements so what makes Catholicism unique?

Most people say medicine is about medical knowledge coupled with dedication and skill and put to the extension and improvement of human life, so what elements of Catholicism make it "incapable" and I'm assuming you mean incompatible but maybe you are incapable with the English language?

Can't stand snow, butn I could tough it out. Aside form that, I'm all open to any med school. Allopathic only please.

wow the thread has progressed in a direction I didnt think it would. But I was curious to know what other people thought. Because personally, Id attend any school I got into. I agree its a tough process. Good to know how everyone else feels though.