Schools You've Declined

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

twosoakers

Addict & Western U '11
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, to avoid confusion, can we have a thread where those who have chosen a final school announce the programs they've officially declined? It will be a great asset to those of us on waiting lists. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

NC State (Out of state)

Members don't see this ad :)
1. U C Davis
2. University of Illinois

Both awesome schools, but after thinking more about how to afford to attend, and logistical concerns of visiting family, I had to decline.

yet another bump.

I have declined WSU and Glasgow.

i'm declining an alternate seat at cornell, although i am not sure how helpful that is...

Massey - Waste of money.

One week to accept from date of offer, let you know of offer before any US schools start interviewing. Was told they'd reconsider my application and be given my offer back this year if any seats were available if I decided to take back my decline. That was nice of them :)

I am declining my seat at Wisconsin (it's an out-of-state seat if that matters). Good luck to everyone still waiting.

Did they give you one week to accept the offer?

Can anyone explain the April 15 (or 16 this year) deadline for replying to schools? In particular, I am worried that I will not be able to choose between two schools until May. Can you put deposits down at two schools if you are willing to loose the money in exchange for buying a little extra time to decide?

Can anyone explain the April 15 (or 16 this year) deadline for replying to schools? In particular, I am worried that I will not be able to choose between two schools until May. Can you put deposits down at two schools if you are willing to loose the money in exchange for buying a little extra time to decide?

I think you COULD, but people on this forum have told stories about having 2 deposits and then the schools start calling and getting all b*tchy about where you're actually planning on going.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok I am sympathetic to you having a tough decision and all, but from my standpoint(on two different alternate lists) The longer you and everyone else decide to put off their decision- the longer my life plans re totally up in the air... I suppose like everything else- It is all about your perspective....

For me personally, it wouldn't be about a tough decision between two schools, it would be about where my spouse could relocate to...even though the request was put in well in advance, I wouldn't know until after the deadline and I would prefer to not let a school go until I knew for sure and wasn't randomly guessing. Believe me, I am completely sympathetic and understanding to wailisters - the sooner you find out the better!

In my opinion, and this may sound harsh (though I don't mean it too), those that got acceptances worked very hard for those acceptances. It is not selfish to hold on to an acceptance when you have a hard decision involving a significant other, financial aid, etc. I know that many are waiting on a wait list, but I don't think that this is a decision that should be rushed.

OK harsh may be one way to put it , but also maybe self- absorbed... Not to overstate the obvious- but if you think the wait-listers or even many that were rejected have not worked hard- you would be mistaken. Or maybe you just can't see beyond your own situation. I can understand those with factors out of their control-- but otherwise I can't really think what benefit it could be to wait 60 or 90 days instead of 30. I n reading old threads a huge nightmare of mine would be hearing from one of my schools the month, week or day before classes start... Again, maybe it is just my perspective...

I'm not talking from my situation, I already know what school I am going to, I'm speaking in general terms. I didn't say that those that who got waitlisted or rejected didn't work hard; what I am saying is that those who got in shouldn't rush their decision because they feel that they owe it to the waitlisters. Obviously, as soon as you've made a decision you should inform the school, but it is a decision effecting a large chunk of your life. There are many factors that go in to a decision (some of which take time), and those with decisions to make are aware that there are people waiting for their spots. It isn't self-absorbed to wait and make an informed decision; I think it is more self-absorbed to feel that others should rush their decisions to benefit you.

It never ceases to amaze me how unsupportive vet/pre-vet people are of one another. Take a look at some of the other boards (MD, Podietry, Dental...) and you never see people getting on each others backs. Maybe it's because there are so few vet schools that the competition really gets to people... I am just so sick and tired of seeing people telling others that they shouldn't bother applying to vet school if they aren't positive that's what they want to do because it'll take up spaces for those who are; or telling people that they need to hurry up and make a decision because others are waiting to get their acceptances off the waitlist and not doing so is "self-absorbed". I think everyone needs to chill out and try to support each others decisions. So maybe some people do have difficult decisions to make. I don't see how it makes them selfish for being accepted to multiple schools. Good for them and their decisions will be in soon enough. I really don't mean to sound bitchy (I don't know what we're allowed to say here :p) but I really think people need to look beyond their own situation and try to be supportive of one another. Aren't we all after the same goal anyway?

QTKitty, I totally agree. I am envious of other boards because IN GENERAL there is more comradere.

Enough said... I agree about supporting each other, which is why I am drawn to this site....And I am truely happy for those who are already accepted. I think I just took exception to the one comment "those that got acceptances worked very hard for those acceptances. " I am over it.... and ready to get my confident, sunny outlook on life back!!!

I go to a school with a million pre-vets and I know what you mean about the uber competitiveness and non-cooperation. I can't even describe how awful it is to get to get dirty looks just because you did well on an exam. All other pre-professional students are super supportive of each other and I always complain that pre-vets need to be more like that. Anywas, I'll get off my soap box now... I just had to vent.

I go to a school with a million pre-vets and I know what you mean about the uber competitiveness and non-cooperation. I can't even describe how awful it is to get to get dirty looks just because you did well on an exam. All other pre-professional students are super supportive of each other and I always complain that pre-vets need to be more like that. Anywas, I'll get off my soap box now... I just had to vent.

awwww! until recently, my school had two pre-vets; me and a good friend of mine. maybe it just being the two of us made a difference, but let me tell you, the pre-vet kids at my school help me out so much more than the pre-meds (of which there are many). like k9<3er said, i'd often get mocked for doing well on exams. i finally just took to not telling anyone what i got; just a "i did well."

i love this board :love:. with the odd jerk thrown in there, i think this is a fabulously supportive board! no one's perfect, so we all snap at each other now and then, but what fun would it be if *everyone* was *always* sunshine and rainbows?

not that i have anything against rainbows.

and what would an sdn thread be without a tangent? lol, ok, enough hypotheticals :)

I agree w/ Emio!! At my alma mater (a very large medical school feeder) the competition was extremely tense between pre-med students. "Throating" is what we used to call the stuff they did to each other (like pulling fire alarms in the middle of tests or the middle of the night before a big O-Chem test, giving faulty information to students who missed class, etc). I was one of the few pre-vet students at this school and we all helped each other out! I think it just happens with all pre-professional kids when there are enough of us around in one place. The application process can be very stressful and competition is extremely tough and sometimes it causes the inner jerk in us to come out. Overall tho I think everyone is very supportive of each other - esp on SDN! :D

I agree with all of the comments, especially Emio's. I think for the most part we are really supportive of eachother, I often read the pre-allo board and I think that many of them are incredibly cut-throat with eachother, and especially new members.

Also, at my undergrad institution all of the pre-health professional students are really supportive of eachother (again, for the most part). I really like the environment here, and I'm hoping that will continue on through vet school. Though I'm extremely competitive (aren't most of us?), collaboration is going to be so important in vet school, there are only so many people in your class so you can't make too many enemies ;) .

I didn't mean to offend anyone with my posts, sorry if I did, I was just trying to express an opinion. By making a comment about those that were accepted, I didn't mean to imply anything about those on the waitlist.

Can you tell I'm procrastinating from studying for finals?

oh and to get back on-topic:
declined VA-MD (in state)

For me personally, it wouldn't be about a tough decision between two schools, it would be about where my spouse could relocate to...
You could try calling your two schools and explaining your situation. Especially if it's a military relocation, they might be understanding. They would be within their rights, of course, to say "send your deposit by April 16th or else." But you might find that at least one of them would be understanding enough to hold your place for a while longer without the deposit. Especially if you tell them that you're willing to put a deposit at both schools and not decide until you have all the information you need (i.e. them holding their ground is not going to get a faster response from you).

whoops... somehow got a double post

haha this whole conversation is hilarious to me...at my school the prevets (all like 100something of us) are all best friends and the premeds try to poison each other in their sleep! Funny too because unless you fail out of my school, you get into med school...not so with vet school!

haha this whole conversation is hilarious to me...at my school the prevets (all like 100something of us) are all best friends and the premeds try to poison each other in their sleep! Funny too because unless you fail out of my school, you get into med school...not so with vet school!

haha. at my school, the competition is really cut throat but i am lucky that i made friends with some of the coolest people so it is not that bad.

I also had an experience where there were only a few pre-vets and we were really supportive. I'm big into group studying, cooperative learning, and everyone doing well. That's one thing I'm really worried about, actually - I got the impression that Penn students aren't that competitive with each other, while Tufts students are a little more competitive.

Making a decision does take a little bit of time. I've been emailing students and faculty at both schools with a whole slew of questions, and I even have some phone meetings scheduled to discuss opportunities and determine which school is the best fit. Alternates shouldn't count on hearing before April 16th for sure...but I don't think it should be anyone's nightmare to get an acceptance right before classes start - wouldn't it much worse to not get in at all?!

I think this board is relatively supportive. I've looked at the other boards and they have people attacking each other as well (especially the MD board). But that's not to say that it happens often - it's just that sometimes people get annoyed with each other. As Emio said, "no one's perfect, so we all snap at each other now and then, but what fun would it be if *everyone* was *always* sunshine and rainbows?". You gotta have a little drama here and there to spice it up :p Um...VA-MD is a terrible school! ;) (Before anyone jumps on me that's a JOKE)

emio -- did you/do you go to drexel?

*tear* I officially declined Tufts today. I love that place, although SO opportunities do not abound in North Grafton so I had to say no. Good luck to those of you on the wait list!! Out of state.

*tear* I officially declined Tufts today. I love that place, although SO opportunities do not abound in North Grafton so I had to say no. Good luck to those of you on the wait list!! Out of state.
What are SO opportunities?

Thanks

Angelo84, I think SO means significant other...but maybe texlaevis could clarify...

I will be declining Illinois and Purdue.

To all of 'yall who are still deciding- TAKE YOUR SWEET TIME!!! It's your life, noone else's.

I'd love UF to tell me I've got an interview...but I won't get one unless someone declines....but ya know what, maybe next year. A year won't kill me, and I'm 33. So if I can be patient, you can too!

Philomycus, I really hope you get an interview! I saw that you posted on the UF thread earlier and i eagerly checked. I'm really hoping you hear something soon!

I'm declining my spot at Kansas State and Iowa State...both great schools, it was really hard for me to do, but it was just too much money compared to my other choices.

I'm still holding on to 3 (maybe even a 4th) for further consideration...

I will be declining western u of health sciences

Okay, so usually I get annoyed by topics that go off-topic, but I really wanted to comment on people thinking about those on the waitlist when making their decisions.

I'm currently waitlisted at 4 schools (yea!), and I would never want anyone to hurry their decision due to me (in that situation I know I'd want to take as long as possible to make a decision and make sure I was making the correct one)!!! Go ahead, you are lucky enough to be able to choose between schools, so enjoy it and take advantage to the fullest!!!!! I really don't think anyone would really be too upset to be accepted the day before classes started because it's so much better than not going at all! (I know I'd be so happy I don't really know what I'd do!)

which schools are you waiting for, frisky?

I'll be declining Tufts's offer this week. Good luck to those on the waiting list :luck:

I'll also be declining Illinois's offer. I don't know how much that helps since they accepted 100 people to fill 25 out-of-state spots...but if you're on the waiting list there good luck anyway.

i will be declining my acceptances to: Illinois and Western
and taking myself off the waitlist for: Tufts and Kansas

GL yall.