-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Sci GPA Boosters
Started by Telekinesis
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
If your grades were sufficiently miserable, and moreso if you really didn't master the material, you could retake the two Chem classes and (hopefully) get As, which would boost your cGPA and BCPM GPA.
If what you meant to ask was whether there are easy science classes that could improve your BCPM GPA, consider Astronomy.
If what you meant to ask was whether there are easy science classes that could improve your BCPM GPA, consider Astronomy.
If your grades were sufficiently miserable, and moreso if you really didn't master the material, you could retake the two Chem classes and (hopefully) get As, which would boost your cGPA and BCPM GPA.
If what you meant to ask was whether there are easy science classes that could improve your BCPM GPA, consider Astronomy.
Well the D in Gen Chem 1 is screwing me over. I retook it and still did horrible in it.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Well the D in Gen Chem 1 is screwing me over. I retook it and still did horrible in it.
That's not really good... Why did you not do well in Gen chem 1 the second time? Astronomy, statistics, and microbiology courses are usually good for gpa boosting ( at least at my school, all of those classes end with ~50% of the class getting A's).
Well the D in Gen Chem 1 is screwing me over. I retook it and still did horrible in it.
Ouch that's going to hurt.
How horrible was the second "horrible?" And how did Gen Chem II go?Well the D in Gen Chem 1 is screwing me over. I retook it and still did horrible in it.
That's not really good... Why did you not do well in Gen chem 1 the second time? Astronomy, statistics, and microbiology courses are usually good for gpa boosting ( at least at my school, all of those classes end with ~50% of the class getting A's).
Lots of personal issues. Second time was a summer course and it was rushed. The first time my teacher never really lectured us, just talked about Texas history in class.
Well I passedHow horrible was the second "horrible?" And how did Gen Chem II go?
But I'm in Chem 2 now.Well I passedBut I'm in Chem 2 now.
lol
I know...I know. BTW Ozzi how has your year been? Did you go to the UTSW open house? My friend at TCOM says they are having something pretty soon.
I know...I know. BTW Ozzi how has your year been? Did you go to the UTSW open house? My friend at TCOM says they are having something pretty soon.
No, i did not go to the UTSW open house unfortunately. Had something in school come up. My semester is going pretty well except for ochem kicking my butt.
Did your friend tell you when TCOM will be doing something?No, i did not go to the UTSW open house unfortunately. Had something in school come up. My semester is going pretty well except for ochem kicking my butt.Did your friend tell you when TCOM will be doing something?
I think next weekend. I'll find out tomorrow.
First off, I feel your pain because I'm in the same boat brotha.
But kinesiology is the way to go. There easy classes (not all if them) and they they count as science classes.
But kinesiology is the way to go. There easy classes (not all if them) and they they count as science classes.
Since you are in Texas, you can take computer science, astronomy and geology. Those are some easy science classes and they count towards your science GPA in TMDSAS.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
First off, I feel your pain because I'm in the same boat brotha.
But kinesiology is the way to go. There easy classes (not all if them) and they they count as science classes.
I dont kinesiology counts towards your science GPA but i could be wrong.
any course offered by a BCPM department that is a survey-level course
any course offered by a BCPM department that is "history of [a certain science]" but the syllabus is >50% scientific concepts
agree about geology and intro-level astronomy
also, any bio research course that gives you credits usually results in an A, although they take a lot of lab time and hard thought. Those research classes were pretty helpful for my GPA, and you can get research in for your med school app too
any course offered by a BCPM department that is "history of [a certain science]" but the syllabus is >50% scientific concepts
agree about geology and intro-level astronomy
also, any bio research course that gives you credits usually results in an A, although they take a lot of lab time and hard thought. Those research classes were pretty helpful for my GPA, and you can get research in for your med school app too
Last edited:
any course offered by a BCPM department that is a survey-level course
any course offered by a BCPM department that is a history of a certain science but still teaches >50% scientific concepts that are important for that subject
agree about geology and intro-level astronomy
also, any bio research course that gives you credits usually results in an A, although they take a lot of lab time and hard thought. Those research classes were pretty helpful for my GPA, and you can get research in for your med school app too
Well I am a neuro minor. Perhaps I could do research in my minor and also for some Bio credits?
If you get a "D" in Chem 1 and a "C" on retake, you need to be focusing on your prerequisites before you think about boosting your GPA.
If you get a "D" in Chem 1 and a "C" on retake, you need to be focusing on your prerequisites before you think about boosting your GPA.
Isn't that the same thing? I can't have a higher GPA without doing better in the remainder of my pre-reqs.
Isn't that the same thing? I can't have a higher GPA without doing better in the remainder of my pre-reqs.
Yah but I think what he wants you to do is focus a lot more on your prereqs as adcoms will look at those likely with some special interest.
On a side note, and please do not be worried by this, but I will tell you right now with a bad understanding of general chemistry 1 concepts your chances of doing well in every other prereq courses outside of bio is going to be low. Dimensional analysis will reappear in all of your chem labs, as well as in physics, and general chemistry principles such as acidity, basicity, and electronegativity will be repeated all the time in organic chemistry. So identify and try to make sense of these things so that when you enter the other prereqs you aren't as disadvantaged.
Yah but I think what he wants you to do is focus a lot more on your prereqs as adcoms will look at those likely with some special interest.
On a side note, and please do not be worried by this, but I will tell you right now with a bad understanding of general chemistry 1 concepts your chances of doing well in every other prereq courses outside of bio is going to be low. Dimensional analysis will reappear in all of your chem labs, as well as in physics, and general chemistry principles such as acidity, basicity, and electronegativity will be repeated all the time in organic chemistry. So identify and try to make sense of these things so that when you enter the other prereqs you aren't as disadvantaged.
The problems hit me when I encountered quantum and such. I get dimensional analysis in fact I love it. And I agree with you though.
No, you're worrying about taking other courses to boost your GPA. You need to get your prerequisites out of the way before you do that, and more importantly, you need to find out a way to address your shortcomings.Isn't that the same thing? I can't have a higher GPA without doing better in the remainder of my pre-reqs.
Lots of personal issues. Second time was a summer course and it was rushed. The first time my teacher never really lectured us, just talked about Texas history in class.
At A&M?
You better get used to it.
At A&M?
You better get used to it.
No this teacher was worse than A&M. This was another school. She was in her last semester of teaching so she didn't care at all.
No, you're worrying about taking other courses to boost your GPA. You need to get your prerequisites out of the way before you do that, and more importantly, you need to find out a way to address your shortcomings.
Gotcha. So far it has only been one class that screwed me over.
Last edited:
2
235788
That's not really good... Why did you not do well in Gen chem 1 the second time? Astronomy, statistics, and microbiology courses are usually good for gpa boosting ( at least at my school, all of those classes end with ~50% of the class getting A's).
Holy Crap. Mine hovers 10-20% 🙁 for the sciences at least.
If you go to A&M try stats 201, pretty easy math course imo
Holy Crap. Mine hovers 10-20% 🙁 for the sciences at least.
I don't know I feel like most microbiology department classes at the schools in my state are pretty grade inflated. Pathogenic, pathogenesis, intro micro, all relatively hover at around 40% getting A's. But that could be likely that the material is really the same from other courses except applied to a microbiological context.
So far I have only completed 4 pre-reqs. However I did miserably in my first sequence of Gen Chem. My question is are there any GPA boosters that I should take?
Here are some sGPA boosters I took.
Environmental Biology
Plant Physiology
Also, went back and took an intro bio course that I need for a bio minor.
In my opinion a GPA is a course that is conceptually easy. It still will require work, but it is almost as if doing the work ensures a good grade.
If your school offers TA positions for credit take that. It is good review, leadership, and credits that boost your GPA>
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I don't know I feel like most microbiology department classes at the schools in my state are pretty grade inflated. Pathogenic, pathogenesis, intro micro, all relatively hover at around 40% getting A's. But that could be likely that the material is really the same from other courses except applied to a microbiological context.
The bio department at my school is horribly inflated. Half the students get As in 300-400 level courses. The chem department on the other hand is 10% A's.
What other prerequisites have you completed? Because if you still have Physics and O.Chem left, you seriously need to catch what's wrong with your studying.Gotcha. So far it has only been one class that screwed me over.
So far I have only completed 4 pre-reqs. However I did miserably in my first sequence of Gen Chem. My question is are there any GPA boosters that I should take?
Take A&P. Easy A
What other prerequisites have you completed? Because if you still have Physics and O.Chem left, you seriously need to catch what's wrong with your studying.
Second yr of Bio, OChem series and Physics series.
Take A&P. Easy A
I plan to for my second yr Bio pre-reqs.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 14
- Views
- 10K