Science class P/NP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dhsy

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Another question regarding P/F courses- I would appreciate your advice!

I’m taking four classes this semester and I am doing okay in them, except one course that I’ve been struggling with. If I take it for a letter grade, it is likely to drop my GPA which makes me consider p/np. However, I’ve heard advice against “cherry-picking” which classes to take p/np, and this is a non-prereq science class which means I will be taking letter grades for other classes but pass/no-passing the science class (which isn’t ideal for someone pursuing medicine/sciences). Would you have any advice on this?

Members don't see this ad.

Another question regarding P/F courses- I would appreciate your advice!

I’m taking four classes this semester and I am doing okay in them, except one course that I’ve been struggling with. If I take it for a letter grade, it is likely to drop my GPA which makes me consider p/np. However, I’ve heard advice against “cherry-picking” which classes to take p/np, and this is a non-prereq science class which means I will be taking letter grades for other classes but pass/no-passing the science class (which isn’t ideal for someone pursuing medicine/sciences). Would you have any advice on this?
You should do whatever feels right, but should understand that one grade in one semester is not going to move the needle on your overall GPA. That said, you should also realize that most people would be fine taking a B, so, to the extent it matters at all, someone looking at a transcript where you "cherry-picked" a class to take P/F is going to most likely assume you are masking a C. So, you'll get the benefit of not having it impact your GPA, but you're also not going to be fooling anyone. If your school is making P/F mandatory for all classes, there is nothing you can do, and schools will understand, but, if you have the option class by class, and you're afraid a B is going to pull your GPA down by 0.01, you run the risk of having a reader assume the worst by not taking the grade.

Reactions: 1 user