Quantcast

science classes & med school

BeMo Free Repeat™ On Us + 5 Med School Challenge
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nvr Ending Jrny

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
According to my roommate, you don't have to take any science classes to get into med school. He said that if you have good ECs, a good GPA, and a good MCAT that you can get into med school. What I explained to him was that all the med school sites that I have seen specifically say 1 year of orgo/physics/bio/chem and some require biochem or math or whatever. He said that's not true and that people just take those classes to do well on the MCAT. Of course those classes help big time for the MCATs but I was under the assumption that med schools still require you to take all those clases to see how you do in the sciences.

Am I right or wrong?

DrMom

Official Mom of SDN
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The schools require the classes. Your roomie doesn't have a clue.

musiclink213

My room is a mess
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Nvr Ending Jrny
According to my roommate, you don't have to take any science classes to get into med school. He said that if you have good ECs, a good GPA, and a good MCAT that you can get into med school. What I explained to him was that all the med school sites that I have seen specifically say 1 year of orgo/physics/bio/chem and some require biochem or math or whatever. He said that's not true and that people just take those classes to do well on the MCAT. Of course those classes help big time for the MCATs but I was under the assumption that med schools still require you to take all those clases to see how you do in the sciences.

Am I right or wrong?

tell your roomate to not take any of those classes, just have good EC's, good GPA, good MCAT, and apply to med school and then see who gets accepted. if he wants, he can screw up his life, but tell him not to screw up yours.

UCLAstudent

I'm a luck dragon!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wow, your roommate is uninformed.

Tbonez

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I love people who know everything.

Nvr Ending Jrny

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
thanks....the worst part about my roommate is the 4.0 he has and he's done with orgo/physics/bio/chem/cell bio :eek:

ASDIC

The 9th Flotilla
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
they want people who have challenged themselves taking advanced biology classes such as physiology, genetics and biochemistry. Settling with the pre-reqs and then applying will hurt you.

Beth_yu

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
well if you get good grades for those advanced course.

If not, I rather not take it