Science course load??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

behavioralsimone

Reaction score
Hi all,

I’m trying to decide what courseload is reasonable for this fall. I graduated this May with my BA in psych and I’m now taking a DIY post-bac year to work on premed classes. I’m currently taking physics I and this fall I’m registered for bio I, gen chem I, and biostats. Do you think it would be possible for me to do a general neuro class this fall or should I hold off taking 3 sciences until I’m used to studying for sciences? I do think biostats will be easy for me since I’ve already taken + gotten As in two stats classes, but I wonder if bio + chem + neuro together would be killer. However, I am hoping to apply to masters programs in neuro this fall and the credit would help.

Basically my schedule can be one of these 3 things:
Plan 1: bio 1, chem 1, research lab, biostats
Plan 2: bio 1, chem 1, research lab, biostats, biology of human skeleton (easy elective in anthro)
Plan 3: bio 1, chem 1, research lab, biostats, neuro 1

Thanks!

EDIT: my school does 2hr labs during the second semesters of bio and chem so I will not have labs this fall, which gives me a bit more free time

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
What is your current GPA? If you already have strong study habits I think it is doable since the bio and chem are both entry-level courses however, if you are even moderately hesitant I would recommend easing into the sciences and protecting your GPA/sanity. The worst-case scenario is that you have extra time for MCAT prep/EC's.

What is your current GPA? If you already have strong study habits I think it is doable since the bio and chem are both entry-level courses however, if you are even moderately hesitant I would recommend easing into the sciences and protecting your GPA/sanity. The worst-case scenario is that you have extra time for MCAT prep/EC's.

I graduated with a 3.98 GPA but I only took a couple of science classes, hence my concern about rigor. That’s true - although with COVID extra credits are harder to come by. I am also registered for a research class so I’ll be able to keep researching at least

I would hold off and spend the extra time trying to round out your future application. With the research class plus labs for the bio/chem, you will already be at full time (if not a little over). There is no need to rush the process with a 15+ credit hour semester and risk getting a downward trend GPA. Maybe look into gaining some clinical exposure, although I realize with COVID those opportunities are more scarce.