Science GPA more important than Cumulative GPA?

Started by osprey099
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

It depends.

Some schools like Wayne State will consider your sGPA more heavily.

For example, if you have a crappy cGPA from undergrad, you can remedy the situation by completing 20 hours of post-bacc science classes and they will use that as your sGPA.

I think a strong sGPA is more important to schools in an overall sense. Since medical school is largely science based for the first 2 years.
 
It depends.

Some schools like Wayne State will consider your sGPA more heavily.

For example, if you have a crappy cGPA from undergrad, you can remedy the situation by completing 20 hours of post-bacc science classes and they will use that as your sGPA.

I think a strong sGPA is more important to schools in an overall sense. Since medical school is largely science based for the first 2 years.

I also think sGPA is more important. I realize the post bacc thing but I was just wondering about the traditional "4 years undergrad then med school" path
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I also think sGPA is more important. I realize the post bacc thing but I was just wondering about the traditional "4 years undergrad then med school" path

Did you miss the inference?

If they weight the post-bacc sGPA higher, then in their regular admissions standards for those without a post-bacc the sGPA must also rank higher on the totem pole.
 
Did you miss the inference?

If they weight the post-bacc sGPA higher, then in their regular admissions standards for those without a post-bacc the sGPA must also rank higher on the totem pole.
Meh, this may or may not be the case. A post-bacc is usually done when a non-traditional student returns to college to pursue medicine after trying another career first. Medical schools may very well look at the post-bacc science courses of that student and be more forgiving of their other grades than they would for a student who is on the traditional 4-years-straight-to-medical-school track. I have no knowledge either way, just pointing out that because they favor post-bacc science classes over cumulative GPA for those who do a post-bacc doesn't necessarily mean they will favor science classes for the traditional student.