science gpa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

runfast5k

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm not much of a chem/physics person so I've gotten anywhere from a C+ to a B on most of my courses in those subjects. However I do well in Kinesiology and Bio which raises my science gpa up. If I have a solid science gpa of 3.0-3.1 even though I didn't do amazing in some of the chem/physics courses..would it look really bad? I go to very well respected but tough school. The recruiters I've talked to say they know that our gpa might be alil lower.

Also our school doesn't allow repeats on courses. If I wanted to repeat a physics course at a community college over the summer to get a better grade would that look bad? It's the same material and credits so it should count as the same course even though it's at a different school.

I should do well on the MCAT and I got great LOR's and have gotten a paper published on cardiovascular research.

Members don't see this ad.

runfast5k said:
I'm not much of a chem/physics person so I've gotten anywhere from a C+ to a B on most of my courses in those subjects. However I do well in Kinesiology and Bio which raises my science gpa up. If I have a solid science gpa of 3.0-3.1 even though I didn't do amazing in some of the chem/physics courses..would it look really bad? I go to very well respected but tough school. The recruiters I've talked to say they know that our gpa might be alil lower.

Also our school doesn't allow repeats on courses. If I wanted to repeat a physics course at a community college over the summer to get a better grade would that look bad? It's the same material and credits so it should count as the same course even though it's at a different school.

I should do well on the MCAT and I got great LOR's and have gotten a paper published on cardiovascular research.

First off, when a student retakes a course, the AOA only calculates the newest grade into the the student's gpa. The AMA does not do this and many students do not even know that this is how the AOA calculates a student's gpa. I would definately encourage you to retake some of the courses you got a "C" in. I mean, do you have an "A" or "B" in both your General Biology classes and C's in Gen Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, and Physics? Are you trying to say that since you performed well on 25% of the prerequisites for medical school that that should compensate for a "C" in everything else? Look man, I'm not trying to knock on you because I'm having trouble in the same courses you are. However, I've only made one "C" in my prerequisites. Don't get me wrong a "C" here and there is not that bad, but if you make too many of them they'll just kill your science gpa. Just retake some of your C's at a Community College. Since you have already taken them all on a Univerity level, it shouldn't look that bad on your transcipt. I'm not trying to be an A$$, I just think this is somehting that you need to here. If your school is as tough as you say it is then you should have no problem busting through all your prerequisites with A's at a Community College. You should also do well on the MCAT. Be sure to study for the horrid thing though. Oh, I almost forgot. I don't think doing well in Kinesiology will compensate for much either when it comes to the prerequisites.

-Good luck on everything

runfast5k said:

You can get into plenty of schools with such a GPA. Many people have gotten in with lower science GPA's. Just do well on the MCAT.

Well at my school kines isnt a gym class..some of the hardest courses I've taken are here. Human Anatomy, Physiology and Cardiovascular Physio. Just personally I do much better with human based learning and things having to do w/ exercise and physiology. I'm not a math guy or good at chem. never have been. I don't have time to retake a ton of courses and I don't think a couple of C+'s and B's will hurt me. Fortunately for me kinesiology is included in the science gpa for DO schools so my B+'s and A's in those classes help balance my science gpa. So I'm thinking a 3.1 science gpa will be solid coming from my school. I was just thinkin of repeating one physics course. But thanks for the reply. I realize my grades aren't perfect but I think they're solid and with other things included..i will be a strong candidate. Jus wondering if other people have similar issues or gpa's.