Science Grades

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Floyd77803

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just found out the grade on my chem final, which I took on tuesday morning, and I was not pleased at all. It looks like I may get a C- in the class. My question is do medical schools require that you get atleast a C in the required science courses? If that is the case I will take the class over, if not I will concentrate on bringing my GPA up by working harder in my other science classes. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Several that I applied to did require at least a C. My opinion is that you should retake the class. If you continue to get Cs maybe its time to re-evaluate. If it was just a fluke, it will be something that will need to be explained-but definately not the end of the world. Good luck!

I haven't applied yet so I can't tell you from experience but I would dissagree with comment that one C is something that you will have to explain. A C- is different ofcourse and you should check with some schools to see if retaking it is truly needed. I have read about many many many students that had several C on thier record and are now in medschool so a few none steller grades won't knock your dreams.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree. Make a few phone calls to some schools, and see what they say. Talk to your pre-med advisor. That's what they are there for. I just found a great study aid for the MCAT (mcat made easy). They are flash cards, and they cover chemistry. They might help with your class, too. I think if you go to hotbot or yahoo and type in MCAT, you might find them.

what is a c- on the 0.0 to 4.0 system, b/c most schools uce that and virtually all of them require at least a 2.0 in all premed sciences.

feel no shame in retaking the class-- i had a B in ochemI. The next semester i was going to take the mcat so i wanted an easy schedule so i took ochemII and retook ochemI-- i found it to be super easy and much clearer than the first time. My average test score was 98% and i tutored for other first-timers. on the mcat i really felt i understood the ochem questions so it was twice as helpful. With lower grades you must have a higher mcat to compensate-- keep that in mind!

Thanks for the input. I just found out my grades for last semester. I ended up getting a C in my chemistry class. I am glad it wasn't anything less, and I realize it isn't exactly up to pre-med standards. However, I got an A- in my Bio 2 class (done with bio now). I did well in my other classes as well(A-, B). Although a 2.0 in a 5 credit chem class didn't exactly help my GPA.

okay now i have a question...

Here are my science courses with grades

bio 1 and 2 = A/A
gchem 1 and 2 = A/A
phy 1 = B

now in my organic chemistry class they divided the course up and gave us 2 grades for the lab part i made an A but the lecture part i made a C....i know if i added the 2 grades it would come out to be a 3.2 which is a B.....

will the school frown on that....i still have phy 2 and ochem 2 to go.......thanks

oh by the way i hold a BS degree in Respiratory Therapy which I obtained from UTHSCSA...so right now i am just doing the sciences that i am lacking :p

As i said before--with lower grades you must have a higher mcat to compensate-- keep that in mind! Your grades seem ok, but you may need an above average/good MCAT score to show that you really grasp the concepts. With experience you can most likely get away with a bit more as well.