Science is not my specialty!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sociology_major

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a bachelor's degree in Sociology and I am currently in school to take the science pre-requistes to enter dental school. I haven't attended school on campus for a few years and my degree didn't require a lot of science and math classes. This is my first semester taking science pre-requistes and I am seriously struggling!!! Science has never been my specialty and I am struggling with basic chemistry and trig. I am wondering if I should even keep going. If I am struggling now, I probably will struggle later. Should I just cut my losses and further my career in the social service field? Or do I keep trying? My gpa prior to entering this semster was 3.49. Even though I have 2 years before I will have the necessary science classes to apply to dental school, I don't want to ruin my gpa.

Members don't see this ad.

I found chemistry to be the most difficult is my pre reqs, mostly because it was my first science class in college. You'll find that while the material isn't related, you'll find your other classes to be much easier since you've been introduced to the learning style. I wouldn't give up because chemistry and trig were difficult

Reactions: 1 user
My BA is in Italian and I'm starting dental school this fall - don't jump ship just yet.

What moved you to pursue dentistry? If you haven't already, chadsvideos and khanacademy are incredible resources for the hard sciences. If you're serious about it, why not at least go all out for a semester and see how you do? You can only be a few weeks in at this point, right?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

My BA is in Italian and I'm starting dental school this fall - don't jump ship just yet.

What moved you to pursue dentistry? If you haven't already, chadsvideos and khanacademy are incredible resources for the hard sciences. If you're serious about it, why not at least go all out for a semester and see how you do? You can only be a few weeks in at this point, right?

Yes it has just been a month. I was going to wait until the end of the semester and re-evaluate. I could be thinking too far ahead. Thanks for your reply.