Science Labs - Nontraditional Students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PSYCHDR40

Matt 19:26
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi to all my nontraditional students out there. I recently started my prereqs and everything is smooth sailing except for the Lab. I consider myself fairly competent, but it's like I'm a deer in headlights in there. And it's only for General Chemistry! :eek: It's really discouraging feeling so lost and dumb.

My coworker who went through prereqs a few years ago tried to put things in perspective for me. I'm in class with kids who just finished Chemistry or AP Chemistry before graduating, and have probably already done the labs. Which is probably true. They know where everything is for the experiment, how to put it together, breeze through the questions, all while I'm still reading the lab instructions.

Just needed to vent. I took high school chemistry 17 years ago. How did you all get into the swing of jumping into labs with all the young folks without being lost in the storm?

Really could use some tips. I am going to start watching videos online, maybe that will help with my comfort level. Any other suggestions? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Definitely read the prelab before class and make sure you have a good understanding of what is going on before entering the lab. This is the only way to ensure success. Then others will think general chemistry comes so easily to you. Just make sure to put in the time. If there is something you don't understand, look it up in the textbook or look for the experiment on youtube. There is nothing new. Everything you will be doing has been done a thousand times before so you should be able to youtube the exact experiment you will be performing. Happy experimenting!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, I am reading before the labs. I also prep my lab notebook beforehand. I think looking up the lab online for a video will help me as well. I wish I had thought about doing that a month ago, but better late than never, I guess!

Hi, I am reading before the labs. I also prep my lab notebook beforehand. I think looking up the lab online for a video will help me as well. I wish I had thought about doing that a month ago, but better late than never, I guess!

Pre reading isn't enough imo.

In my lab class, the prof has us write up a pre lab report, with 3/4 - 1 page of summarized instructions in our own words.

If you are doing gen chem lab 1, you may be familiar with the Magnesium oxidation lab (where you oxidize Mg in a crucible). Even with all the heat and weigh steps, we were able to get this done in 3/4 of the time allotted just due to working the pre lab and summary out.

My pre lab looks something like this:

Purpose of lab: maybe a few sentences for example, Attempting to find out the empirical formula of a compound after a series of oxidation reactions.

Summary of steps: Here I re-write the whole lab instruction sequence in my own words. I keep it in bullet form, but omit stuff that is common knowledge.
For example: Obtain clean crucible, instead of obtain crucible, wash with DI water and thoroughly dry. If you pre read, you already know you need to use DI water and dry completely before adding anything. Make sure to include steps that are easily forgotten like: obtain mass of weigh boat or wax paper before adding something to it to be weighed. I've missed that one a few times.

Another things we add is the msds of the materials used. This can be found off of google usually.

Last, it would probably be beneficial to walk around the lab prior to class or after class, and get an idea for where everything is. This was part of our first day in class, and it really helps to have a general idea of where something is.

I probably overdid it but when I was taking my labs, I prepared a short summary of steps in each experiment. It not only helped me speed things up during the lab (I didn't have to read the long description of each step/procedure) but also understand the big picture of the experiment.

RRT, the idea of summarizing the prelab in my own words seems promising. I will try that tomorrow. I have lab on Tuesdays and will work on my lab notebook tomorrow. Thanks all for the ideas. :thumbup:

Writing lab reports was the most most most annoying and useless waste of time I have ever encountered.

I mean, seriously, pre-lab questions? Feels like kindergarten.