Science pre req?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmDr.

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
are you suppose to take your science pre reqs at university level? I have looked at a couple of med schools and they want this level of work.

Members don't see this ad.

Are you asking if they prefer university verses community college? They do prefer a university setting for you to get your pre-reqs in. I think the theory is the classes are more rigorous and therefore better prepare you for medical school.

If you can at all possible, take courses at a university.

Ditto with Amy B. It just looks a little better to take them at a four year (I've heard more than one med school say this).

Members don't see this ad :)
I will be taking 3/4 of my science pre reqs at a 4 year college but not at a university, does this matter to admissions?

PharmDr. said:
I will be taking 3/4 of my science pre reqs at a 4 year college but not at a university, does this matter to admissions?

I don't see how this would be a problem.

PharmDr. said:

4 yr college = university, for all intents and purposes.

PharmDr. said:
are you suppose to take your science pre reqs at university level? I have looked at a couple of med schools and they want this level of work.

I didn't have any problem with any schools, MD or DO, and comm coll classes.

Call the schools that you are interested in. I personally called a couple of the DO schools that I am interested in and this is what they said:

Classes at the community college are fine. They do not look at the name of the college or whether it is from a university or community college. Make sure the college is accredited and they would recommend some advanced science courses to show you can do the work. Call the schools, they can answer you directly. They really put me at ease and they are super friendly.

This is actually the one subject that I'm trying to research. I've talked with some med students at a couple of COM schools, and they told me that it doesn't really matter where you take those courses, it's all about doing very well in them. With community college courses, they say then that you basically need to ACE them then, because they assume you should be able to do well in them. MSU has a computer application called the ACTS IV and this allows a student to bring up their college, choose courses, and see what those courses transfer over as to MSU. I find that the community college curriculum (at my local community college) transfers over with the same amount of credit and weight as their own science courses. The big difference is that the classes at the community college are higher level courses; for instance a BIO 110 at MSU is a BIO 227 at LCC. But too, for me its different. I already did a four year degree at university, and I am back doing just the sciences. I'm a pretty non traditional type student, in age. I've just turned 30! I have already started working on a masters in health administration, but know that I need more direct patient contact.

GPA in the sciences is only ONE aspect of so many that med school admissions boards look at. They will look at the overall picture of the person applying.

Msugrl said:
This is actually the one subject that I'm trying to research. I've talked with some med students at a couple of COM schools, and they told me that it doesn't really matter where you take those courses, it's all about doing very well in them. With community college courses, they say then that you basically need to ACE them then, because they assume you should be able to do well in them. MSU has a computer application called the ACTS IV and this allows a student to bring up their college, choose courses, and see what those courses transfer over as to MSU. I find that the community college curriculum (at my local community college) transfers over with the same amount of credit and weight as their own science courses. The big difference is that the classes at the community college are higher level courses; for instance a BIO 110 at MSU is a BIO 227 at LCC. But too, for me its different. I already did a four year degree at university, and I am back doing just the sciences. I'm a pretty non traditional type student, in age. I've just turned 30! I have already started working on a masters in health administration, but know that I need more direct patient contact.

GPA in the sciences is only ONE aspect of so many that med school admissions boards look at. They will look at the overall picture of the person applying.

Hi and welcome to SDN,
042.gif
Have you checked out OPM yet. It is the web site for older, nontrad premeds and med students and docs. The link is listed below my post in my signature section.

Hi Amy B,

Thank you so much for the link to oldpremeds.org. That site is so nice. I will shortly be introducing myself in some of the forums. Thanks again!