Science Student w/ cGPA 3.27, MCAT 33

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

northyork7

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm a Canadian undergrad science student about to start on my applications for USMDs (a long list of low tier schools) with the following:

- cGPA 3.27 (high first year, low 2nd year, average 3rd year)
- 1st MCAT: 27N
- 2nd MCAT: 33 (edit: 11 phys, 9 verb, 13 orgo)

EC:
- Co-authored a paper published in Circulation (2 summers and a school year of research)
- Captain of college basketball team
- Executive of Marketing and Promotions in cancer club
- Never volunteered at a hospital, but will be in this final year
- Decent letters of recommendation from 2 profs I did research under

I know I'm applying late but I want this so bad. Thanks in advance for your time!

- Worried Applicant

Members don't see this ad.

cGPA is well below avg for MD schools; Having an "L" shaped curved doesn't help.. You're fine for DO programs. It is also very late in the cycle.

Keep in mind that not all schools accept international applicants.

Hi,

I'm a Canadian undergrad science student about to start on my applications for USMDs (a long list of low tier schools) with the following:

EC:
- Co-authored a paper published in Circulation (2 summers and a school year of research)

I know I'm applying late but I want this so bad. Thanks in advance for your time!

- Worried Applicant

Thanks for the reply. What can you recommend that I do to bolster my chances for this cycle? What about next cycle? What cGPA do you think I need to improve to in order to remain on the competitive end?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the reply. What can you recommend that I do to bolster my chances for this cycle? What about next cycle? What cGPA do you think I need to improve to in order to remain on the competitive end?

As a Canadian, your options are limited to private schools and certain public schools. If you have the resources and time, take a year at University and get straight 4.0s.. that will bolster your chances at private US schools.

As for Canadian schools, you are limited to whatever convoluted scheme they use to evaluate your GPA

Yes, this is something that I can and will do during this coming year.

What are my chances of getting to interview stage after one more good year of marks? Let's say I raise my cGPA to 3.4 to 3.5. Would it be worth staying that extra year? Canadian medical schools are not an option because their admissions place emphasis on GPA, which is not to my strength. My goal is residency in the states, so if another year's GPA isn't worth it, I would be better off considering graduate studies to bolster application or international medical schools followed by residency in the states.

Schools I'm aiming for currently:
- San Juan Bautista School of Medicine
- Howard University College of Medicine
- University of North Dakota School of Medicine and Health Sciences
- Cooper Medical School of Rowan University
- Morehouse School of Medicine
- Meharry Medical College
- Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine
- Eastern Virginia Medical School
- University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences College of Medicine
- Marshall University Joan C. Edwards
- Tulane University School of Medicine

Edit: Sorry for the long list. But really appreciate your help.

Last edited:

What are my chances of getting to interview stage after one more good year of marks? Let's say I raise my cGPA to 3.4 to 3.5. Would it be worth staying that extra year? Canadian medical schools are not an option because their admissions place emphasis on GPA, which is not to my strength. My goal is residency in the states, so if another year's GPA isn't worth it, I would be better off considering graduate studies to bolster application or international medical schools followed by residency in the states.

''

Firstly, your MCAT is good which is a bonus for US schools. Canadian schools don't care that much beyond the cutoffs. I am not sure of your background but I assume you did a four year degree and your GPA is based on twenty courses. As such, a year of 4.0s may not even get you the 3.5GPA.

The point of the year to get 4.0s is to ensure adcoms you are capable of high grades and that you've learned to handle academic stress. Its effect on the overall GPA is less relevant.

I am not sure how you arrived to that school list, but some of the schools take few students outside of their own states -- let alone Canadians. At least one is a historical black college whose mandate is to help its community, and another is based on Puerto Rico and students should be fluent Spanish speakers.

I am not sure about your future intentions. If you can wait, and can do well in your future courses then a 4.0GPA in many courses will help. If you choose to do a Masters, then decide to do it on its own merits because US schools care less about graduate degrees.

Consider the DO option since they are eligible for first round matches in many provinces including Ontario, and BC

Hi,

EC:

- Worried Applicant

low cgpa, took mcat twice for 33 and canadian makes your chances quite low unfortunately. Try it out though and see what happens.

Spend the $22 and invest in MSAR. You have a number of schools on your list for which you have no chance becasue some of them are HBCs, and some are state schools which don't have much luck for OOS applicants, much less international. As an example, Marshall accepted 0 international students. ND does not accept foreign students, and only 14/70 outside of the state. And Ponce? Really?