Sciene major..??..or not??... Early admission to opt. school possible??

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

odbound

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. I just joined this forum. :) I am a second year undergrad student in cali and have some questions I dont think I saw answered.

1)Is choosing a science major a good decision?
..Does it give you priority in any way?..does it make you look better when applying to opt schools?

..Is working toward a BS helpful in preparing for the OAT?

..Is working toward a BS helpful in preparing you for the yrs of science in opt school? (for theose who've got accepted by an opt school w/ a BS)

2)Do any opt schools take early admissions(admit students w/o BAs/BSs)in the states?...If so...which ones?

Many thanks. :D

-odbound

Members don't see this ad.

I know SCO takes people early, but I think for OD schools in general it is becoming more rare. You're best bet is to speak with somebody at the schools you are interested. I'm sure you can call up SCO and get some of this cleared up. It seems to me like you'd have to be stellar if you want to get in early.

Being a science major, especially biology, seems like the best preparation for the type of studying you are going to be doing in optometry school, and as a science major you have to take at least most of the prereqs anyways. The vast majority of my entering class at SCO is some kind of science major, especially biology. We do have a few oddball majors, including finance, construction science, math, design, spanish, piano performance (what the heck?), soil science, and professional aeronautics.

thanks for the response stevec, appreciate it :)