This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

9bbn

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello all,

I've been using Jack Westin's CARS passage of the day for practice for a while now and was looking for something similar for scientific passages. Recently, looking at AAMC practice material, most of the scientific passages are straight from science journal articles. I looked for a similar thread but couldn't find one that posts a journal article every day and then, after reading, folks would write the main idea in comments. I know, for science passages it would be much complex, but still, the goal is if we read one article a day, or maybe every other day, we would learn the way journals are written - the lingo - by the time we take the test.

I don't know how this will go, and I would be able to find and post an article every day, but I will try.
 
10/11/2017

Dang it, it is not letting me upload or post a link for the article 🙁
Whatever, in few days I will be able to... Yall can go to pubmed and search this title:

3-Mercaptopyruvate Sulfurtransferase, Not Cystathionine β-Synthase Nor Cystathionine γ-Lyase, Mediates Hypoxia-Induced Migration of Vascular Endothelial Cells.

Hopefully, in few days I will get the required number of likes/posts. Till then, we gon keep it old fashioned (a great drink btw).


Minimum Requirements
You must have created at least 10 Posts (Yours: 2)
You must have received at least 2 Likes (Yours: 2)
Your Like😛ost Ratio must be at least: 1% (Yours: 0%)
You must be registered for at least 10 days (Yours 145)​
 
10/12/2017

Nature article
Human genomics: Cracking the regulatory code
download.png

For few days I will keep the link in qr format until SDN lets me post links.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
10/13/2017:

This is a good article on skin receptors which will be beneficial in understanding Foundational Concept 6 - sensory receptors - in more detail. Enjoy!
PS: all the images are at the very end after citations.

The gentle touch receptors of mammalian skin

upload_2017-10-12_16-14-5.png
 
10/14/2017:
Pretty interesting paper on peanut allergy

'Genome-wide association study and meta-analysis in multiple populations identifies new loci for peanut allergy and establishes c11orf30/EMSY as a genetic risk factor for food allergy'
upload_2017-10-14_14-58-19.png
 
10/19/2017

Review article: Activation of membrane receptors*
P.S. a couple pages long, a quick read. Read the preview, it is free

upload_2017-10-19_16-24-57.png