SCO- What's Memphis like for someone from the east coast?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

i_wanna_get_in

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
so i'm planning on attending sco this fall, traveling all the way from nj. i was wondering if any of you guys (not "y'all"!) happen to come from the east coast, and if so, if you experienced any sort of culture shock in memphis. i only visited memphis for a day for my interview and really didn't get to explore too much. i'm just wondering about the area, what there is to do, how the temperature compares to nj (if it's much hotter in the summer and whether or not it's bearable), and if i'll end up adopting a southern accent. haha, this might seem really trivial, but i just want to be prepared!:laugh: :hardy: :idea: :D

Members don't see this ad.

so i'm planning on attending sco this fall, traveling all the way from nj. i was wondering if any of you guys (not "y'all"!) happen to come from the east coast, and if so, if you experienced any sort of culture shock in memphis. i only visited memphis for a day for my interview and really didn't get to explore too much. i'm just wondering about the area, what there is to do, how the temperature compares to nj (if it's much hotter in the summer and whether or not it's bearable), and if i'll end up adopting a southern accent. haha, this might seem really trivial, but i just want to be prepared!:laugh: :hardy: :idea: :D

im from the east coast, right on the beach.
yes memphis is a big cultural shock. most of the heavy accents will
be from your class. the crime here is horrible. 55+ carjackings in feb.

supposedly bbq is reallly good here, but im not a fan of it. there are a lot of places to go downtown and a few clubs.
pretty hot summers with ozone warning levels!
hopefully memphis will treat you better.

After four years, you will definitely develop a southern accent.
To get an idea about the temperatures yr round, check this out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memphis%2C_Tennessee

You might find the friendliness of the locals one of the biggest culture shocks. They are better drivers than in Jeiseiy too...:laugh: