scope internship in germany

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ellett44

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I just got accepted for a one month placement in germany. The placement can be in a number of cities that have a medical program. I was wondering if anyone could guide me on some cities in Germany i should look to go to (besides the obvious munich and berlin) and ones i should stay away from. The list of participating cities is exhaustive and kind of daunting and i was leaning to the following cities: Berlin, Munich, Tübingen, Marburg or Göttingen. Thoughts?

The full city list is as follows:
Aachen
Berlin
Bochum
Bonn
Cologne
Dresden
Duesseldorf
Erlangen
Essen
Frankfurt
Freiburg
Giessen
Goettingen
Greifswald
Halle
Hamburg
Hannover
Heidelberg
Homburg
Jena
Kiel
Leipzig
Luebeck
Magdeburg
Mainz
Mannheim
Marburg
Muenster
Munich LMU
Munich TU
Regensburg
Rostock
Tuebingen
Ulm
Witten
Wuerzburg

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

what are you going to do during the placement? clinical experience? university/lectures/courses? some specialty?

besides - you cited all universities with medical programs in your list. nothing more or less. there are far more hospitals assigned to universities..

what are you planning to do? see town, meet people, sightseeing? do you want to be in a typical student-based university town or better in a metropol?

If you´re looking for a nice and interesting city, you should consider Berlin, Munich, Hamburg, Cologne and maybe Dresden and Leipzig.

I am studying in Düsseldorf - I wouldn´t recommend going there. Only for a day trip parting from Cologne to have a couple of beers in the "Altstadt" maybe.
I f you like student towns, Heidelberg is beautiful and full of medical students. Besides it´s faculty is very good. Münster is a nice student town too. At those places maybe it´ll be easier to get to know to people than in the big cities.

I wouldn´t recommend at all Halle, Essen, Giessen, Homburg, Witten, Hannover and Frankfurt. In my view those places are pretty boring - at least from a touristic aspect.

Well - thats only my subjective impression, so please nobody flame me for this. ;)