score report

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

msumed

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
just received 239 on step 1 and am seriously considering neurosurg as a career. does anyone have insight for a pathway towardsis career. Is my score competitive at most places?

Members don't see this ad.

msumed said:
just received 239 on step 1 and am seriously considering neurosurg as a career. does anyone have insight for a pathway towardsis career. Is my score competitive at most places?

Yes, your score is good enough.

If you want to do neurosurgery you need to #1) get involved with your department ie go to grand rounds and case conferences #2) do some type of research and shoot for publications #3) go to as many neuro cases as possible. Why do I say this....because all of us that have matched did this. It's a competitive field and you want all the edge you can get. But you also need to do all these things for yourself to see if you want to persue a career in neurosurgery.
As far as your score...I'm not going to address that. If you are intelligent enough to do well on your boards you should be able to figure out if you are competitive. Let me warn you that board scores aren't everything. My program looks very closely at research (number of pubs) and letters of recommendation. Good luck on your path and I wish you success.

Last word of advice....take most of the replies on here with a grain of salt. Realize that there are people that will post advice and still are med students that haven't gone through the process.

Members don't see this ad :)
Malftap said:
If you want to do neurosurgery you need to #1) get involved with your department ie go to grand rounds and case conferences #2) do some type of research and shoot for publications #3) go to as many neuro cases as possible. Why do I say this....because all of us that have matched did this. It's a competitive field and you want all the edge you can get. But you also need to do all these things for yourself to see if you want to persue a career in neurosurgery.
As far as your score...I'm not going to address that. If you are intelligent enough to do well on your boards you should be able to figure out if you are competitive. Let me warn you that board scores aren't everything. My program looks very closely at research (number of pubs) and letters of recommendation. Good luck on your path and I wish you success.

Last word of advice....take most of the replies on here with a grain of salt. Realize that there are people that will post advice and still are med students that haven't gone through the process.

well, I am not resident yet but I talked to somebody that matched this year to NS from one of the carb med schools. she told me that she did not participate in any kind of research during med school and therefore no publications!! she told me that her step I was good but not perferct. so, when you say " because all of us that have matched did this" this is just not true. I agree that it is better to have some research exp and some publications but people (even IMG's) match to NS without doing it. this year 85 % of US graduates matched to NS, so It is not really competative at least for US graduates.

esth0001 said:
well, I am not resident yet but I talked to somebody that matched this year to NS from one of the carb med schools. she told me that she did not participate in any kind of research during med school and therefore no publications!! she told me that her step I was good but not perferct. so, when you say " because all of us that have matched did this" this is just not true. I agree that it is better to have some research exp and some publications but people (even IMG's) match to NS without doing it. this year 85 % of US graduates matched to NS, so It is not really competative at least for US graduates.

You talked the talk and I've walked the walk. By no mean are my words the final say but if you want to quote the few exceptions go ahead. My point is you have to make yourself as competitive as possible and don't but yourself behind the 8-ball.... so show interest and do research!

Malftap said:
You talked the talk and I've walked the walk. By no mean are my words the final say but if you want to quote the few exceptions go ahead. My point is you have to make yourself as competitive as possible and don't but yourself behind the 8-ball.... so show interest and do research!

Malftap... please comment on my post "NS chances"... i am nervous that im falling in love with NS and just like falling for a girl, dont want to get rejected!

esth0001 said:

At what program did this person match? I am not familiar with any Caribbean graduates that matched into neurosurgery this year.

mpp said:
At what program did this person match? I am not familiar with any Caribbean graduates that matched into neurosurgery this year.

She matched to University at Buffalo www.ubneurosurgery.com. she is a graduate of Saba university school of medicine.

I know one other person from American University of Carribean matched to
West Virginia University Hospital, WV.

I think with very high USMLE step I, It should not be too difficult to match to neurosurgery even from Carb med schools.

Mpp, any ideea if there have been any graduates from Europe or Asia that matched into NS this year? If yes, any ideea from which countries?

esth--were these post-match scrambles? ie, post-match list vacancies filled?

i wasnt able to "match" up your info with a match list.
http://www.nsmatch.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=826

i am assuming youre referring to the 05 cycle

allendo said:
Can D.O's match into allo NSurg

esth0001 said:
Yes, but almost impossible.

ROBINHO said:
@ESTH0001,
Are u a medical student/resident???

Which NS programmed are considered as IMG friendy??

esth0001 said:
I think there are 95 programs, Just apply to all of them if you want to increase your chances. I am medical student but I spoke to couple NS residents and also one neurosurgery residency program director. I think if you really want Neurosurgery you should have 240 or above USMLE step I score. As an IMG you can do one year of NS research and that will make up for the fact that your are IMG. but If your step I is low, I think it is impossible even if you are Harvard graduate.

esth, something about your previous DO comment and your research/IMG comments don't jive with me--im fascinated and confused

last, dont be misled by that 85% match figure: dont forget the caliber of applicants, and the fact many of those who are uncertain of their ability to compete do not compete at all. to say that 85% match and therefore it's a non-competitive residency is reductio absurdum

best

my impression of NS was always that it was highly self-selected?

about 5 of us in my class at school (middle of the road private) want to go
into NS. i think that at least 3 got USMLEs over 250 (1 over 260) and all have research and lots of Honors.

NS is competitive and attracts a highly motivated type of applicant IMO.

i wouldn't be fooled by the 85% match rate most of those folks could probably match into whatever specialty they chose.

im not counting on matching thats for sure.

CUarzt said:
esth--were these post-match scrambles? ie, post-match list vacancies filled?

i wasnt able to "match" up your info with a match list.
http://www.nsmatch.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=826

i am assuming youre referring to the 05 cycle

esth, something about your previous DO comment and your research/IMG comments don't jive with me--im fascinated and confused

last, dont be misled by that 85% match figure: dont forget the caliber of applicants, and the fact many of those who are uncertain of their ability to compete do not compete at all. to say that 85% match and therefore it's a non-competitive residency is reductio absurdum

best
A Carib grad (and a canadian too) did match. Check it out:

http://www.ubneurosurgery.com/handler.cfm?event=practice,template&cpid=8823