Scores going down...is that normal?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whateva07

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok so I've been taking the practice tests every other day... here are my scores:

Kap Diag: P8 V7 B7 = 22
Kap FL#1: P9 V8 B9 = 26
Kap FL#2: P11 V8 B9 = 28
Kap FL#3: P9 V9 B6 = 24
AAMC 4: P12 V11 B8 = 31
Kap FL#5: P11 V9 B11 = 31
Kap FL#4: P12 V9 B11 = 32
AAMC 5: P11 V10 B8 = 29
Kap FL#6: P10 V7 B11 = 28

So I'm going backwards haha....Heeellllpp. Does anyone have any suggestions to help me out here. Please! :D

Members don't see this ad.

Ok so I've been taking the practice tests every other day...

That could be your problem right there. If you take too many practice tests too often your brain will get tired and your scores will go down. I would suggest cutting back to about 5 every 2 weeks at the most.

When is your MCAT test date?

That could be your problem right there. If you take too many practice tests too often your brain will get tired and your scores will go down. I would suggest cutting back to about 5 every 2 weeks at the most.

June 13. Ive been trying to really focus on the tests moreso, but I guess that might be actually be backfiring. Any suggestions about what I should supplement for the tests?

I was looking at your profile, and I see you got a 31. What were your practice scores like? I hope somehow I can get a 31 or 32 rather than in the 20s on the real test.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was looking at your profile, and I see you got a 31. What were your practice scores like? I hope somehow I can get a 31 or 32 rather than in the 20s on the real test.

As one of the above posters said, it's really important to study efficiently. Keep in mind that you're not actually learning anything when you take practice tests (other than pacing/timing/endurance). Rather, you are diagnosing your strong points and weak points. Your actual learning will take place when you go back to review your tests and see what questions types, content areas, answer choices, etc. are giving you a hard time. Once you have remediated these issues, THEN you are ready to go on and take another test. Remember that getting ready for the MCAT involves not only quantity, but also quality...

As one of the above posters said, it's really important to study efficiently. Keep in mind that you're not actually learning anything when you take practice tests (other than pacing/timing/endurance). Rather, you are diagnosing your strong points and weak points. Your actual learning will take place when you go back to review your tests and see what questions types, content areas, answer choices, etc. are giving you a hard time. Once you have remediated these issues, THEN you are ready to go on and take another test. Remember that getting ready for the MCAT involves not only quantity, but also quality...

I do look over the my exams, but I guess I should look at the material more to reinforce it.

I do look over the my exams, but I guess I should look at the material more to reinforce it.

I would start working on the AAMC's.... you still need to take 6-10?

that's 5 in 20 days.... or so.... do thorough evaluations of your performance.... and target study...... in weak areas... maybe get some stand alone verbal sections in there as well....

Ok so I've been taking the practice tests every other day... here are my scores:

So I'm going backwards haha....Heeellllpp. Does anyone have any suggestions to help me out here. Please! :D

Take it all with a grain of salt... some tests are more difficult, you may had had an 'off' day, or it may just be the material on a particular exam that you are not quite strong in. don't worry though, my scores are doing a similar thing.

You have to look at your overall trend... and it seems like you are going up from your first 2! Also, average your scores out, it will give you an overall idea of where you stand.

Cheers.

Hey - I just want to reiterate what someone above said - the point of practice tests is mostly to get used to the pacing and the endurance required for the real test.. the real learning happens when not taking the test (going over wrong answers, etc.)

That being said - I had a similar experience to you in that I took a Kaplan Diag before studying (got a 30) and then had a really weird progression: 30, 27, 34, 30, 33, etc. (and i was getting worried like you, especially since I didn't have a huge jump from my pre-studying score) until just recently I finally started scoring significantly above my diagnostic (consistently, thankfully!). So - anyway, just wanted to let you know that you're not alone and that you can certainly score well above your current once you get into the groove. Keep at it!!

Good luck!!

ye...like erbody said in here...some test are harder than others...also, dont compare kaplan's and aamc's....some people do better on kaplan's...some people do better on aamc's....personally i did better on the aamc's...also i am wary about the whole average thing...especially if you are having an upward trend...i started having an upward trend up until my test day...my last score and my last 4 scores for that were significicantly higher and were obtained significantly later in my studying than my first aamc...so its hard for me to imagine that i would score toward the middle or bottom half of that average...i would hope my upward trend would continue and "peak" on test day! but i dunno...ill tell u if that happened...neway...chillout...ur aamc scores are good...29's and 30's are good...just clean up weak areas a lil and ull be bustin out 34's and 35's b4 u kno it!

You'll be fine. You've got 2 weeks to build endurance by taking the practice tests. Also, you'll figure out your weak areas by checking out your weaknesses. Personally, however, I've taken a full length nearly every day for the past 2 weeks since finals were over... hopefully I won't be drained on the 27th!

AAMC 6: P10 V10 B10 = 30
Kap FL #7: P10 V11 B9 = 30

So I started going back up, but its confusing bc one test my weakness verbal and sometimes its bio.