Scoring lower on step 2 than step 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bceagle411

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Should I take Step 2 to have the score reported in time for applications if I scored high on Step 1 (248). I worry that if I score lower on Step 2 that it becomes a red flag, but is no Step 2 a red flag in itself?

My Step 1 score wasnt a fluke, it was the exact average of my UWSA2 and NBME both taken the week before the exam, and was in range of a lot of my practice tests and my uworld average was strong.

Should I just bite the bullet and take Step 2?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
My step 1 score was 248.
My step 2 score was 228.
I got 9 interviews.
SGU class of 2009.

Shouldn't matter much.

Reactions: 1 user
Should I take Step 2 to have the score reported in time for applications if I scored high on Step 1 (248). I worry that if I score lower on Step 2 that it becomes a red flag, but is no Step 2 a red flag in itself?

My Step 1 score wasnt a fluke, it was the exact average of my UWSA2 and NBME both taken the week before the exam, and was in range of a lot of my practice tests and my uworld average was strong.

Should I just bite the bullet and take Step 2?

Take it. Pd and faculty are making a risk assessment when they make a rank list.

Not taking a step exam increases your risk vs someone who has taken it (majority of rank pool these days). If you fail after match, they have to worry about that headache.

It used to be less common to take step 2 before rank time, so it mattered less and was a needless risk. Now that’s a lot less true.

I’m still a resident but would guess faculty priorities go something like

1. Don’t rank people that cause resident drama/program problems (arrogant, lazy, or other insufferable traits, interview tries to find these)
2. Avoid ranking people with obstacles that cause headaches (board failure, licensing problems, visa). Board scores help here
3. get candidates that will pass with minimal micromanagement
4. Get candidates that excel and give you the warm fuzzies/make you think you’re a good educator

Reactions: 1 user