Scoring lower the second time, acceptances

jc812

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm supposed to retake my OAT on 2/3 but am completely nervous and feel like it's basically the end of the world for me.

I don't feel confident enough that I'll score either equally or even better the second time around. What if I don't do better the second time? The adviser told me that they would choose the higher of the scores, but does that reflect poorly on myself.. hence getting REJECTED?

I have gotten this far, I can't believe it all lies on this dumb test!

BTW, I got a 320/310 and have a 3.5 GPA. I was interviewed before I had the retake. They want to wait on my scores before reevaluating. I am so nervous and feel sick to my stomach!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I'm supposed to retake my OAT on 2/3 but am completely nervous and feel like it's basically the end of the world for me.

I don't feel confident enough that I'll score either equally or even better the second time around. What if I don't do better the second time? The adviser told me that they would choose the higher of the scores, but does that reflect poorly on myself.. hence getting REJECTED?

BTW, I got a 320/310 and have a 3.5 GPA. I was interviewed before I had the retake. They want to wait on my scores before reevaluating. I am so nervous and feel sick to my stomach!
I have the same situation as you I was so nervous maybe more than you, every time I think of the test 's day my heart starts beating so fast and I was thinking to postpone it. Then I took the OAT for the second time and I did bettter than the first time in each section, go head and retake it because if you keep thinking of the test you will always feel yourself not prepare well . Good luck.

If you score lower the 2nd time, then it will probably look poorly on you, but the admissions committee will take the higher of the two test scores. Hopefully, your best set of scores will be enough to get you into the school that you interviewed. If you feel that you're not completely ready, then you could always postpone the test...it will be to your advantage to score better the 2nd time around. Good luck.

Hi,

Why did you choose to retake the OAT ?

Members don't see this ad :)
hey, which schools did u apply first of all and wht was the breaksown of ur scores if u wouldn't mind sharing. i think u should def apply to midwestern university, u stand a very good chance in the school. i know someone who got accepted with the exact same stats as ur. if u haven't applied, i suggest u do.

Why did you choose to retake the OAT ?

I didn't feel confident in my scores. The break down showed gen chem and RC both at 290, and I didn't want any scores lower than 300.

hey, which schools did u apply first of all and wht was the breaksown of ur scores if u wouldn't mind sharing. i think u should def apply to midwestern university, u stand a very good chance in the school. i know someone who got accepted with the exact same stats as ur. if u haven't applied, i suggest u do.

I don't want to live in arizona!!!!!!!

Hi,

So how did you do? Hopefully you improved your scores and you were just getting the pre-test jitters

So how did you do? Hopefully you improved your scores and you were just getting the pre-test jitters

I got a 320/320.. with the difference of no scores under 300. Last time I scored a 290 on RC.

Anyhow, I was placed on Hold again. They're to reevaluate at the end of the month. We'll see what happens.. but it's getting a bit discouraging.

I got a 320/320.. with the difference of no scores under 300. Last time I scored a 290 on RC.

Anyhow, I was placed on Hold again. They're to reevaluate at the end of the month. We'll see what happens.. but it's getting a bit discouraging.
don't be discouraged! i mean your acceptance isn't solely based upon your OAT scores. honestly, your GPA seems pretty solid. and as longs as you have a pretty solid application (resume/recomm/essay), then you still have a pretty good chance.

anyhow, stay positive. a hold doesn't mean "rejected." how many schools have you applied to? if its only one school thats putting you on hold, there's still other schools you can apply to.

good luck with everything :D

I got the same exact score 320/310. I pretty well in bio and chem sections (330,320 & 340) but then quant and physics killed me (290&280 ouch) so im pretty much in the same boat as you. The thing you got goin though is that your gpa is pretty good at 3.5, mines only 3.12 so other than UHCO im applying to the new programs for fall 09. Good luck on your second exam, hope you do well:thumbup:

I got the same exact score 320/310. I pretty well in bio and chem sections (330,320 & 340) but then quant and physics killed me (290&280 ouch) so im pretty much in the same boat as you. The thing you got goin though is that your gpa is pretty good at 3.5, mines only 3.12 so other than UHCO im applying to the new programs for fall 09. Good luck on your second exam, hope you do well:thumbup:

Make sure that you have a few doctor shadowing experiences that are in different practice settings.

Yeah I made sure about that, I two different private pracitces and then an interpractice (opthomoligist and optometrist).

SCO and SCO only.

Application to only one school may raise a red flag to the admissions committee. I've been to a few optometry admissions workshops and they say they like to see applicants apply to more than one school. Although it shows dedication on getting into SCO's program, they may question why you didn't apply to other schools to increase your chances of getting into AN optometry program. If your reasoning is solely location (as mentioned for Midwestern), it shows lack of maturity and research in decision. There are many great optometry programs out there, why only apply to SCO?

Although I agree with some of your thoughts iVision regarding applying to more than one school, there are some applicants who are non-traditional who have their own families established in a certain area, and therefore they must apply to a certain optometry school because of LOCATION. Unfortunately, these applicants don't have the luxury of applying to many schools as other traditional applicants do, since these applicants have more responsibilities other than just themselves and school. In this specific case, I believe that it's a sufficient enough reason as to why they maybe applying to ONLY one specific school.

You're absolutely right, Absolute Vision. In that case, the reasoning isn't "solely location" since you have other factors such as marriage, family, and other obligations/responsibilities that tie you to location. But if it's SOLELY because "I don't want to live in arizona!!!!!!!" because of the weather or whatever is not a valid excuse is what I meant. That's why I was asking the OP for further clarification on why (s)he's only applied to one school. Sorry for the confusion!

Last edited:
Although I agree with some of your thoughts iVision regarding applying to more than one school, there are some applicants who are non-traditional who have their own families established in a certain area, and therefore they must apply to a certain optometry school because of LOCATION. Unfortunately, these applicants don't have the luxury of applying to many schools as other traditional applicants do, since these applicants have more responsibilities other than just themselves and school. In this specific case, I believe that it's a sufficient enough reason as to why they maybe applying to ONLY one specific school.

Thanks for the perspective.

Last edited:
Application to only one school may raise a red flag to the admissions committee. I've been to a few optometry admissions workshops and they say they like to see applicants apply to more than one school. Although it shows dedication on getting into SCO's program, they may question why you didn't apply to other schools to increase your chances of getting into AN optometry program. If your reasoning is solely location (as mentioned for Midwestern), it shows lack of maturity and research in decision. There are many great optometry programs out there, why only apply to SCO?

There are a few reasons why I won't apply to UMSL. It is a new school. I don't want to be their guinea pig. Second, I don't have any family there at all.

I want to be realistic. If I cannot be close to my family, I won't do well in my studies. That's that. I don't think an explanation is needed as to why I don't want to go to a certain school. If I don't make it in this year, I can apply to a number of schools next year.

There are a few things I considered when I applied only to SCO:
-Location (in respect to family/support)
-Curriculum
-Board Passing Rates
-Facilities/Clinic
-Living Expenses
-Tuition

I've thought it through and through and researched it for four years. It doesn't mean that I don't want to be an OD any less than you just because I applied to one school. Thanks for the insight though. I suppose that's how admissions would view it as. I did explain this to my interviewer, though.

There are a few reasons why I won't apply to UMSL. It is a new school. I don't want to be their guinea pig.
UMSL Has been around 28 years, I think you have your schools mixed up.

Second, I don't have any family there at all.

I want to be realistic. If I cannot be close to my family, I won't do well in my studies. That's that.

I don't think an explanation is needed as to
why I don't want to go to a certain school. If I don't make it in this year, I can apply to a number of schools next year.

There are a few things I considered when I applied only to SCO:
-Location (in respect to family/support)
-Curriculum
-Board Passing Rates
-Facilities/Clinic
-Living Expenses
-Tuition

I've thought it through and through and researched it for four years. It doesn't mean that I don't want to be an OD any less than you just because I applied to one school. Thanks for the insight though. I suppose that's how admissions would view it as. I did explain this to my interviewer, though.

Good luck. I kind of had the same sentiments about the schools (2) I applied to.