Scoring on NBMEs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sebsvenmdc

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I'm trying to figure out the scoring for the NBMEs. I'm buying each of the NBMEs online and they give me a score report with a 3 digit score that then corresponds to Step score that I look up. For instance, 630 on NBME 5 which according to their table corresponds to 251. 800 corresponds to like 288.

This doesn't seem to match the scores of people using the NBME conversion chart with the percent correct and all of that. Some people are saying they got a 670 and a 251...when in fact, according to my scale, it says that a 670 is like 260.

So, which Step score is more accurate? Are the people using that generic conversion chart understating their actual score? Or is mine inflated?

Members don't see this ad.

So, I'm trying to figure out the scoring for the NBMEs. I'm buying each of the NBMEs online and they give me a score report with a 3 digit score that then corresponds to Step score that I look up. For instance, 630 on NBME 5 which according to their table corresponds to 251. 800 corresponds to like 288.

This doesn't seem to match the scores of people using the NBME conversion chart with the percent correct and all of that. Some people are saying they got a 670 and a 251...when in fact, according to my scale, it says that a 670 is like 260.

So, which Step score is more accurate? Are the people using that generic conversion chart understating their actual score? Or is mine inflated?

The chart that comes with the purchased version is made by the NBME, the conversion chart that comes with the downloaded version is a pirated version. Personally, I would trust the one that is made by the people that write the USMLE.

The chart that comes with the purchased version is made by the NBME, the conversion chart that comes with the downloaded version is a pirated version. Personally, I would trust the one that is made by the people that write the USMLE.

That makes sense. Thanks, dude.

Wtf is the difference between a 250 and 260. Nothing. If you're above 240 stfu.

Well, I think a 10 point differential is pretty substantial. If say, I score a 245...it would nice knowing it's a 245 and not a 235. None of these tests guarantee anything, dude. I'm not complaining...just trying to understand a discrepancy.