Scramble Help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tontondavid

UC Davis Class of 2008
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

The title says it all. I just wanted to start a thread for those unfortunate souls like mine to learn about malignant prelim GS spots before the scramble tomorrow.

I heard that some programs treat their prelim people worse than their categorical counterparts!

Does anyone have names for us to avoid?

Thanks...

:(

Members don't see this ad.

Well... if you want to scramble a prelim position, look for one that will give you the opportunity to compete for a second year position or a categorical position the next year... safely TAKE WHAT EVER YOU CAN GET... if you can safely avoid a program... avoid UM, westchester, bronx-lebanon, NYU... Those are the ones I know for sure from friends that prelims are not treated the same way as categoricals... actually in most programs they have a different set of rotations and treat for prelims and cats... Good Luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the replies. Anybody has info on programs on the west coast?

:luck:

This blows. Completely unexpected. Even my dean was totally shocked. :(

Any help, hints, etc are really, really needed right now. Also looking for west coast help.

Two schools of thought on this one....

Take whatever prelim spot you can get, work you tail off, and do well on the ABSITE. Then try to transfer into a more sought after spot.

Another....contact a program where you WANT to go and find out what labs are available at their program to work in, impress them, and get to know the people there. While you are there, take the ABSITE (if they will let you...and you'd have to pay for it). If you rock it, it will help you out. You can moonlight while in the lab once you get a license.

Best of luck.

This blows. Completely unexpected. Even my dean was totally shocked. :(

Any help, hints, etc are really, really needed right now. Also looking for west coast help.

I'm confused...you have to scramble also or do you go to school with tontondavid?

Either way, that definitely sucks and I wish those that have to scramble the best of luck.

Good luck to those who are doing the scramble tomorrow. I think there's only 2 GS categorical spots unfilled this year, same as last year.

Beth Israel in NY and St. Luke's in Manhattan are two programs I know of which have traditionally taken their prelims as repeat interns for categorical spots. At the very least, I know these two programs are not malignant, and are very much supportive of their prelims who desire a GS categorical spot for the following year (receptive to schedule changes, days off, etc).

Hope this helps!

Two schools of thought on this one....

Take whatever prelim spot you can get, work you tail off, and do well on the ABSITE. Then try to transfer into a more sought after spot.

Another....contact a program where you WANT to go and find out what labs are available at their program to work in, impress them, and get to know the people there. While you are there, take the ABSITE (if they will let you...and you'd have to pay for it). If you rock it, it will help you out. You can moonlight while in the lab once you get a license.
Best of luck.

I think most states require at least one year of residency before getting an unrestricted license so that might be hard for someone who is in the scramble position.

Agreed. Will be tough to moonlight without having finished at least one year of residency (plus would you really want to, even if you hadn't?).

I wouldn't feel comfortable moonlighting based on my med school knowledge! :eek:

PM me if you have any questions about Drexel program.

Hey people,

Just wanted to thank everyone for replying and to let you know I landed a prelim spot at UVA!

Good luck to the rest of y'all! :scared:

Hey people,

Just wanted to thank everyone for replying and to let you know I landed a prelim spot at UVA!

Congratulations and good luck.

At this moment, there is one Categorical position unfilled at Mt. Sinai in Florida. There were 2 at 12 pm and only 1 filled for the last 4 hours. What's wrong with the program?

At this moment, there is one Categorical position unfilled at Mt. Sinai in Florida. There were 2 at 12 pm and only 1 filled for the last 4 hours. What's wrong with the program?

I don't know but they also had 3 openings for preliminaries (out of 4), and that program is known for filling their preliminary positions with imgs...

Hey people,

I know moving across the country sucks but Charlottesville is a great college town and the UVA training program is reported to be excellent. This could be a great turn of events. Congrats!

Thanks guys!

I feel truly lucky! :luck:

Cheers...

I'd like to note that the preliminary surgical positions at the Baptist Health System in Birmingham,AL give you a fair shake and treat you identical to all the categoricals in re. to rotattions, vacations, call, etc...

2 of the current categoricals were former prelims who did outstanding jobs and were recruited to stay and one of the current prelims would have been taken is she hadn't worked her way into a plum ENT residency.

I'm faculty in the surgery program and all the interns and transitional residents work with me. It's a good place to spend a year if you're unfortunate to be stuck in the scramble. I've no idea on how many prelim spots filled thru the match, but there are usually a few available.