Scramble Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

condyloma

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied very later for the match and did not get any interviews. This the first time I am applying so the question might seem silly.....But can someone please tell me, since my only hope is probably the Post match scramble....what specialities and programs can I apply to in the scramble?

Only the ones Ive already applied to through ERAS? Or can I apply to anything that comes up in the " unfilled positions" list?

Also, through ERAS I have only applied to IM and Pediatrics, Can I still apply for Surgery or Ob/Gyn positions in the scramble?
Please let me know, I am really confused about this...... :eek:

Members don't see this ad.

Yes you can apply to anything that has unfilled positions. You should read up on the scramble beforehand to make everything run smoother if you have to do it. You can get a lot of usefull information with google.com by just putting in the scramble and nrmp or eras.

Check out some of these links:

http://www.ecfmg.org/eras/ [look for the Post-Match Scramble heading]
http://www.scutwork.com/cgi-bin/links/page.cgi?d=1 [you can find the last few years of unfilled positions to get an idea of what comes out]
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=the+residency+scramble [Google search on the scramble]

condyloma said:

You also seem to be confused about what field of medicine you want to pursue. You might want to sort that out prior to the match...

I want IM or pediatrics, but my point was whether or not I am eligible to apply for ANYTHING that turns up in unfilled slots.... ( coz beggars cant be choosers )
I got my answer.
Thanks PTP

condyloma said:
I want IM or pediatrics, but my point was whether or not I am eligible to apply for ANYTHING that turns up in unfilled slots.... ( coz beggars cant be choosers )
I got my answer.
Thanks PTP

There are no restrictions in regards to what you can apply for. Bear in mind that your LORs , personal statement, etc will most certainly reflect your interest in IM or Peds and it might make a Surgical PD look askance at your "true" interest in his program. It might appear as if you are simply trying to get a position, ANY position, which is generally not highly regarded. Be prepared to explain the change if you should apply for fields other than IM or Peds (and explain why you couldn't decide between the two). The US systems is quite different than the European model; students who apply to vastly different fields are looked upon as somewhat circumspect.

i like coffee... :laugh:

condyloma said:
I applied very later for the match and did not get any interviews. This the first time I am applying so the question might seem silly.....But can someone please tell me, since my only hope is probably the Post match scramble....what specialities and programs can I apply to in the scramble?

Only the ones Ive already applied to through ERAS? Or can I apply to anything that comes up in the " unfilled positions" list?

Also, through ERAS I have only applied to IM and Pediatrics, Can I still apply for Surgery or Ob/Gyn positions in the scramble?

There are usually many, many, many IM and Peds slots open after the match every year-just go to scutwork.com-you can look at the unfilled list for the past several years and you will see a pattern. Please no one start that stupid old discussion about how you can't get good training unless you train at Harvard or something! Also, you might want to look at some Med-Peds programs that might combine both of your interests! Please don't be to harsh on yourself-you should be fine!
Talk to your office of clinical education or residency advisor, and go learn about how many supposedly 'borderline' students end up in great fields even scrambling. Also, sometimes the supposedly 'competitive' programs don't fill because they become overconfident with regards on how students will rank them, so don't give up on what you really want!

Hope this helps!