Scramble

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

roshanee

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I did not participate in ERAS because I was late in getting my California Letter. How would I get the list of unfilled position when the scramble starts?
Please HELP..........

Members don't see this ad.

roshanee said:
I did not participate in ERAS because I was late in getting my California Letter. How would I get the list of unfilled position when the scramble starts?
Please HELP..........

your school dean's office should have one.,,

This is how I'm pretty sure it goes:

Monday, March 13th you will receive notification that you did not match. The following day - Tuesday at 12 EST - you'll be sent a list of open programs in PDF. As soon as you get it...go nuts.

Hopefully you'll have a spot in time for Match Day - the 16th - and can say you're going somewhere when everyone else does.

It depends... were you registered with NRMP? If you were, then your Dean's office and ERAS will provide the unfilled program list to you on Tuesday of match week at 12:00 pm EST. If you weren't registered with NRMP, then you really shouldn't get access to the list immediately -- it's intended to initially only be provided to those who participated in NRMP and didn't match.

Would I be able to get the list of unfilled positions for scramble from scutwork or findaresident?

roshanee said:
Please HELP..........

If you are registered with the NRMP then you will get access to the list of the outcome of every program that particpated in the match through which you will have to sift for the programs with open spots. I believe this is made available at 1100 EST on March 14th. You are not allowed to contact the programs before noon, however.

There is no list of "open programs." You have to parse the list, as I said, for progrmas that did not fill.

If you are trying to match into IM or FP don't sweat it. FP in particular is a buyer's market and even after the scramble there are open spots going unfilled.

If you are not registered with the NRMP then you are indeed hosed and should imediately find a friend who is who will let you use their password so you can get the list. Of course, this is probably illegal as you did not pay the NRMP for such use but let your conscience be your guide.

You are doubly hosed if you did not participate in ERAS because many programs want you to designate all of your documents in ERAS in lieu of faxing them. (This is free to registrants on scramble day.)

But don't worry. While you are extremely unlikey to scramble into anything competative, there will always be FP or IM preliminary spots open somewhere. If you don't want to do FP I'd recommend finding a prelim IM spot and getting your **** in one bag next year.

From experience, I can tell you that it is better to take a one-year hit than to start in a specialty you do not like.

I scrambled last year.

Here is something I have been curious about. If you registered for ERAS and the NRMP and everything went ok but lets say you failed a USMLE step or did not certify your ROL by deadline.

Can you still access the list of unfilled programs if you were booted from the match?

Even if you didn't get any interviews you can still see the unfilled programs for the scramble but you must register with NRMP and submit a rank list (even if it's a blank rank list). I think there is a late option with a late fee. You may want to contact the NRMP as well as your school. You may also be able to just get the list from your school or someone else who has to scramble and contact the programs outside of the whole match/scramble. Good luck. My advice is to get help from your dean or the department you want to go into at your school. The unfilled list is released Mar 13.

so what do you do once you see the list? Call up the programs? or like just start faxing your apps everywhere?

Solideliquid said:
Here is something I have been curious about. If you registered for ERAS and the NRMP and everything went ok but lets say you failed a USMLE step or did not certify your ROL by deadline.

Can you still access the list of unfilled programs if you were booted from the match?

I didn't know you were dropped from the match if you failed a USMLE test. Certainly you can graduate from most medical schools if you fail it.

chicamedica said:
so what do you do once you see the list? Call up the programs? or like just start faxing your apps everywhere?

Yes. You call and stand readyto fax if required. Usually your school will help you with this. Except the smart thing to do is to have somebody on your ERAS account designating programs with all of your information. Most of them will ask you to do this if when you finally get a hold of them so this eliminates one step and will save you time as there is a time lag between when you disignate something and when it appears in the ERAS post office ready for the program to download. (I'll tell you how I know this if anybody is interested.)

Panda Bear said:
I didn't know you were dropped from the match if you failed a USMLE test. Certainly you can graduate from most medical schools if you fail it.

The Rank Order List certification deadline for this years match WAS Feb. 22. By Feb 22, 9:00 PM EST you needed to click "certify" on your ROL. If you did not do this you are removed from the match.

Likewise, if by Feb 22, the NRMP cannot "ECFMG Certify" you, meaning you needed to pass Step 1, 2CK, and 2CS you were removed from the match. This is for IMG's, I do not know if this applys to AMGs.

Solideliquid said:
The Rank Order List certification deadline for this years match WAS Feb. 22. By Feb 22, 9:00 PM EST you needed to click "certify" on your ROL. If you did not do this you are removed from the match.

Likewise, if by Feb 22, the NRMP cannot "ECFMG Certify" you, meaning you needed to pass Step 1, 2CK, and 2CS you were removed from the match. This is for IMG's, I do not know if this applys to AMGs.

It does not.

how difficult is to scramble into an IM categorical if you are an AMG??? with the number of interviews I did I have to prepare myself for the worse!!

mig26x said:
how difficult is to scramble into an IM categorical if you are an AMG??? with the number of interviews I did I have to prepare myself for the worse!!

Not hard at all. Plenty of open IM categorical spots are usually open.

mig26x said:

ez pz japan-ez

seriously, no worries

roshanee said:
Would I be able to get the list of unfilled positions for scramble from scutwork or findaresident?
nope. :thumbdown: word around the grapevine is that nrmp contacted scutwork (it's illegal to share the list).

find a resident would only be available after the match but this is an option open for you. why don't you just try to match properly in september, that way you get decent interviews and you get to choose where you go.

Solideliquid said:

according to NRMP, an IMG is withdrawn from the match if he doesn't get the exam results by ROL time but if he gets it in time for scramble he can still access the list (not sure if there are additional fees). an AMG who fails won't be booted out but has to pass the step before residency starts. might not be able to graduate though.

miracleseeker said:
nope. :thumbdown: word around the grapevine is that nrmp contacted scutwork (it's illegal to share the list).

find a resident would only be available after the match but this is an option open for you. why don't you just try to match properly in september, that way you get decent interviews and you get to choose where you go.

What happens in September? Do you mean reapplying in Sept to start in July 2007, or something else?

So what are you supposed to do in the meantime while waiting to match next year, fold shirts at the Gap and hope you can make your loan payments?