Scrambling from Abroad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I Need Advice

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How difficult is it to scramble from overseas? Are there any specific issues that would be a significant disadvantage for me? I could get access to a phone number programs could call and a fax machine easily from here.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

How difficult is it to scramble from overseas? Are there any specific issues that would be a significant disadvantage for me? I could get access to a phone number programs could call and a fax machine easily from here.

Thanks

I believe but have no experience; it is almost impossible to scramble from overseas unless you are in Canada. Every vacant spot will have many applicants already in US. We may found somebody with successful story out there.

I think he means he will be on vacation/honeymoon/marijuana expedition.

If you can access technology (ERAS) and a phone, you're fine.

I believe but have no experience; it is almost impossible to scramble from overseas unless you are in Canada. Every vacant spot will have many applicants already in US. We may found somebody with successful story out there.
Not true. Be very aware of the time zone you are in, and the time zone of the programs you are calling.

I did it and scrambled into a program from Kosovo when I was there doing missionary work during the scramble. I found a fabulous program. I did have a fax machine, but more importantly, a good telephone line and an excellent internet connection. Plus the people I worked with were very helpful.

It can be done. The world is much smaller today due to the electronic web of telephone and internet. Take your laptop.

Thanks

I fortunately never had to do it. But I asked about it, and was told that as long as you have ready access to phone, fax, and Internet during the residency programs' business day (i.e. pay attention to time zones) it should not be a problem. If you're in another country in a totally different time zone and their Internet cafe and fax/copy center shuts down at night, then you're in trouble. However, if you have ready access to all three of the above, it shouldn't be a problem.