Scrambling with progression to PGY-2 positions

Discussion in 'Surgery and Surgical Subspecialties' started by Surgeon2007, Mar 5, 2007.

1. Surgeon2007

2+ Year Member

Now that it is getting closer to the match and my anxiety is turning into straight fear about not matching and having to scramble, I have a question. Where could someone go to find programs thatin the past have higher acceptance rates of prelim surgery for progression to PGY-2 spots.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Surgeon2007

2+ Year Member

I guess no-one wants to share. Hopefully I will not need the information. Good luck to you all.

4. Winged Scapula

Winged Scapula Cougariffic!
    Staff Member Administrator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I think the reason you haven't gotten any posts, is that there is no answer to your question. At least no centralized listing.

I suppose you could call all the programs you are interested in and ask, but that seems to be a waste of time.

You could stick with university programs which have research opportunities because that provides more spaces to move people into Categorical positions, although it might not take place until PGY-3.

I can tell you Penn State has a long history of doing that, but cannot speculate on any other program.

5. Surgeon2007

2+ Year Member

Thank you Dr. Cox for you advice. I wish there was a site that would help with my anxiety. I guess I just need to get a prescription Xanax.

6. Winged Scapula

Staff Member Administrator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician

Good suggestion...a little relaxation, some wine and Xanax and it will be Match Day before you know it (or care about it)!:D

7. Pir8DeacDoc

Pir8DeacDoc Cerumen Extractor
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    partly there was no answer because "it depends"...If places have openings and you do a good job, there you go. But openings are variable from place to place and year to year. I'd be interested in places that have PGY-2 prelim spots as well so that you can make the progression. As mentioned above, sometimes the openings only happen when a variable number of the residents go into/come out of the lab which is at PGY-3 level.

8. Surgeon2007

2+ Year Member

I want to thank you Dr. Cox and Pir8DeacDoc for your replies.

I have taken Dr. Cox's advice. I have been self medicating with liquor. I have been drinking every night. If I keep this up I will have to ask myself the CAGE questions by Match day. :D

9. Nomack

If you get in the position where you have to scramble, ask if the program has a history of keeping prelims on for categorical spots. I went through the pain of scrambling and it is tough. Pick a respectable program so that if they don't have something for you the next year, at least you will have a year of training at a good program, which will look good when applying to PGY2 spots elsewhere. My PD told me when we talked during the scramble that they have kept about 1/3 of the prelims each year. It is a small program with about 3-5 prelims per intern year. Some stayed on because the program expanded. Others went into Urology at the same program. And a few filled holes when a categorical or 2 left for personal reasons. Some programs also have things in the works to expand, which takes like a year to get finalized. A program that is planning to expand the next year may keep you on for the expanded 2-spot if you impress them enough.

It is all about being in the right place at the right time, and putting in a little hard work.

Good luck with the match, but if it doesn't work out, have faith because you can still end up in a good program despite taking a swing and a miss the first time around. I did. Let me know if you have questions.

10. Winged Scapula

Attending Physician
    In case any attorneys are reading this...

My "advice" above was not intended as medical advice but rather social commentary. As always, users should consult their primary care physician for medically related problems.:D

11. Surgeon2007

2+ Year Member

If there are any attorneys reading this, I, Surgeon2007 have taken Dr. Cox's advice as a social commentary and not medical advice. The only thing that she was trying to do was help me through these trying times, which she has successfully done. I am more than grateful and will not hold her to any thing other then a toast in my honor when I match. :D