Screenplay Research - Femoral Hip Fracture Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crossword

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am writer seeking medical advice for a specific scene in a horror film screenplay. It is really important the story is kept medically accurate, although it is rather farfetched.

The scene in question involves a older man, 65+, who falls and fractures his hip. The man is trapped on the top floor of his apartment building and there is no chance to retrieve medical help. With only one other person available to help him, would it be possible, using household items, to create a sort of traction system (like Buck or Russells Traction) to quickly pop his hip into place? The scene takes place under a tight time constraint and the purpose of re-setting his hip is to allow him to walk a very short distance.

I know this is farfetched but if it was possible, how could it be accomplished?

Thank you so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Not sure if serious . . . but just in case:

Only a med student here, but have done a decent amount of ortho, so maybe this will help. The "hip" joint is composed of the femoral head and the acetabulum of the pelvis. "Hip fracture" usually refers to fractures on the femur side, most commonly the femoral neck. If your character falls and fractures his femoral neck (and it is a complete fracture), it will be inherently unstable due to the muscle forces on the femur (the lower extremity will end up shortened and externally rotated if you can mimic that in the movie). No amount of traction will be able to "pop" the femur back into place in a stable position, though you could possibly get the leg back to length. If there is one other person there best bet would probably be to have the old guy lean on them and hop his way out of there. If the fracture has not completely severed the femoral neck or if it is a small pelvic fracture he could probably technically walk on it for a short distance, although it would be incredibly painful. I think any attempt at traction with kitchen utensils would seem unrealistic.

Not sure if that helps, someone who knows more feel free to correct me.

Thank you for the response, it has helped a lot.

How would you get the leg back to length?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you very much for the responses, they have been an immense help.

As a matter of curiosity for several other scenes in the screenplay, would anyone be willing to share some of the most extreme bone breaks / orthopedic issues they have encountered?

All the best.

There is no real popping a hip into place with hip fractures...what is broken is not mechanically strong enough to maintain length when walking, even after traction. For example, subtrochanteric hip fractures often cause limb shortening, and orthopedic surgeons place pts in traction in the interim if surgery is to be delayed. The problem is that if the pt walks on it, he will reshorten.

A hip dislocation would be more realistic I guess...you can reduce a hip, and the pt can walk if there is limited damage to the acetabulum.

Perhaps something more realistic would be a 65+ guy who had a primary total hip arthroplasty who dislocated after a fall. He can be relocated by someone else and walk right after.

Hello,

I am writer seeking medical advice for a specific scene in a horror film screenplay. It is really important the story is kept medically accurate, although it is rather farfetched.

The scene in question involves a older man, 65+, who falls and fractures his hip. The man is trapped on the top floor of his apartment building and there is no chance to retrieve medical help. With only one other person available to help him, would it be possible, using household items, to create a sort of traction system (like Buck or Russells Traction) to quickly pop his hip into place? The scene takes place under a tight time constraint and the purpose of re-setting his hip is to allow him to walk a very short distance.

I know this is farfetched but if it was possible, how could it be accomplished?

Thank you so much!

Last edited: