Screwed myself?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CudliestTrtle

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all and thank you in advance for reading and responding to my thread!

Well here is my situation. I am a finishing my sophomore year as a chemistry major as we speak. I spent my freshman year drinking and making friends i didn't remember the next day. I earned a 1.7 GPA for the year without any books and taking all core classes. So, I was academically suspended, got reinstated that summer and continued with school that fall. Sophomore year, same as the first except with easier classes and ending up with a 2.3 GPA for sophomore year. So here I stand with a 2.0 GPA (even more embarrassing is that im in MENSA with a 151 I.Q.) Three weeks ago I thought I would shadow my friends father who is an orthodontist. All I can say is, I WANT IN! I loved his work and lack of stress and the pride he got out of his work. I have always been very science minded, building my first argon laser at age 13. So I got back to school and worked my way up from straight Ds to Bs and Cs. So there it is. GPA is trash, im going to be a junior. The best I can do now is a 3.0 and try to destroy the DAT. Any advice? What are my chances with a GPA at a 2.9-3.0? Should I stay a 5th year? Should I go to Grad school? Im going to dental school no matter how long it takes me. I just want advice on the best road to take. Thanks in advance. It is MUCH appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Well here is my situation. I am a finishing my sophomore year as a chemistry major as we speak. I spent my freshman year drinking and making friends i didn't remember the next day. I earned a 1.7 GPA for the year without any books and taking all core classes. So, I was academically suspended, got reinstated that summer and continued with school that fall. Sophomore year, same as the first except with easier classes and ending up with a 2.3 GPA for sophomore year. So here I stand with a 2.0 GPA (even more embarrassing is that im in MENSA with a 151 I.Q.) Three weeks ago I thought I would shadow my friends father who is an orthodontist. All I can say is, I WANT IN! I loved his work and lack of stress and the pride he got out of his work. I have always been very science minded, building my first argon laser at age 13. So I got back to school and worked my way up from straight Ds to Bs and Cs. So there it is. GPA is trash, im going to be a junior. The best I can do now is a 3.0 and try to destroy the DAT. Any advice? What are my chances with a GPA at a 2.9-3.0? Should I stay a 5th year? Should I go to Grad school? Im going to dental school no matter how long it takes me. I just want advice on the best road to take. Thanks in advance. It is MUCH appreciated!

The answer to your question in the title : Yes.

thanks...
...ill let you know when im in dental school...

I want advice please. Not remarks that make me feel worse than I already do.

Members don't see this ad :)
So I got back to school and worked my way up from straight Ds to Bs and Cs.[/B] So there it is.
This isn't much of an improvement. You need to get all A's from here out. If you're as smart as you say you are, that should be possible. Extend your graduation another year to work on your GPA more. A 2.9 to 3.0 is going to be painful when you apply, even if you do great on the DAT. I know a lot of people in your situation do a post-bac or go to grad school, but I think it's much better to stay and get that undergrad GPA up where it needs to be. Otherwise, when GPAs are displayed on your application, that low undergrad GPA is always going to draw all the attention. Good luck with your plans.

thank you very much, I am definitely going to do my best from here on out. hah I better or ill be spending a lot of money chasing.

You don't need a 5th year. You need a 6th.
No one cares what your IQ is.
Once your gpa is at a 3.0, then you can apply. Till then, just keep waiting.
Also get a killer DAT score.
Since your doing bad in your core classes, is science really for you? Because the DAT test (which you need to kill) is science based (half it), and you never opened a science book (a college one at least).
Basically you need to start doing 10x the work everyone else does, literally.
GOOD LUCK

Try Meharry...And if other schools reject you, you can blast them with your frickin' argon laser. :smuggrin:

Hey I'm in a similar situation as you. I'm currently going to finish my 4th year soon and actually staying a 5th year to raise my GPA up to a 3.0. According to other pre dents it can be done. However we both have an uphill battle to face. Dentistry is what you want? Me too. Trust me its depressing looking bad at your transcripts but sometimes it takes that to light the fire under you to study hard. Put in a lot of time to study and you will start to see improvements. The situation we're both in requires a lot of hard work. So if you aren't up to that then you might want to reconsider. However based on your desire to be a dentist I would recommend getting close to all A's from here on out. Then study for the DAT and get a really good score (22+). Don't let anyone say you can't get to where you want to be in life. I heard of stories where people have applied more than 3 times before they got in. You don't want to wonder the rest of your life if you could have been a dentist. Put in the sweat and you'll see results. Read the forum often to keep you motivated and on top of your game, good look to you! :)

Look at the quote below. Tell me what your dream is, if you want it bad enough, no one will stop you.

The best advice i can give you is dont give up even when you things look awful. you have a challenge and if you can over come it and get where you want to go you win. im not talking mainly to be a dentist im talking about the whole picture. You have to change yourself like an addict has to change from not drinking. yes it might be hard at first but if your goal is set up high you have to be disciplined and in line with that goal. We all have our stories of over coming challenging some more difficult that you or i can even imagine. this day is gone and tomorrow is another fresh new beginning so make those changes little by little and you will get to where you want to go. best of luck.

Tack on a 5th year. You need nothing less than A's from here on out, I'm not kidding. Calculate what your gpa will be after this and then decide if you need a post-bacc. Also, you'll need to kill the dat as previously mentioned. GL

Do a one year masters when you grauate and tear it up! And get a 20AA on the dat.

You don't need a 5th year. You need a 6th.
No one cares what your IQ is.
Once your gpa is at a 3.0, then you can apply. Till then, just keep waiting.
Also get a killer DAT score.
Since your doing bad in your core classes, is science really for you? Because the DAT test (which you need to kill) is science based (half it), and you never opened a science book (a college one at least).
Basically you need to start doing 10x the work everyone else does, literally.
GOOD LUCK

I agree, especially with the bold part. Adcoms look at GPA.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks a lot you guys. I mentioned my IQ to emphasis that I'm not an idiot, because based on my academic record, I am. Well, now that I think about it, I am an idiot for blowing off the past 2 years. Anyways, all the advise is definitely going to be taken seriously. Looks like a 5th year for me. Should I do a post bacc. or a masters program? And what looks better and why?

this may seem like common sense after reading the other posts, but obviously the higher your gpa the higher your chances are. same thing with dat. higher your dat the higher your chances are of getting into dental school.

as for postbac and masters. i didnt do either of them so i am not sure how much i can say about them. i am under the impression that a masters "looks" better than a postbac.

lol @ what PWNed Shop and denniss1 said.

1. Consider a SMP.
2. 22+ on DAT.

Last edited:
An SMP = Small Masters Program that will be considered graduate GPA. If you'll be able to do well in your SMP then that will greatly increase your chances of dental school, since you take lots of upper division Biology classes during your SMP. Its normally a 1 year program and I personally think it looks better than an informal post bacc. However keep in mind that some of them require a minimum of 3.0. Honestly in my opinion you just need to study your butt off and get the best grades you can. If you are staying a 5th year see where your GPA will be at and from there apply to a SMP if you still need to strengthen your GPA, or if you can raise your GPA to about a 3.0, rock the DAT and you'll have a shot. Hope that helps and good luck to you.:thumbup:

get As until your GPA is around 3.2

If it requires extra years in UG, so be it. It is very possible, but you MUST get As instead of "Bs and Cs".

You could also try to take summer upper-level classes to pump your GPA. Also, your personal statement could address how you f'd up your first two years but you are doing much better at the higher level classes. Either way, I would apply at least the year before starting a fifth year or a masters program and really prepare for the DAT and do well on it. That way, your worst case scenario is a reapplication with extra coursework, and a heightened commitment to getting into dental school.

I know someone in a similar situation that is actually in grad school now. Last app cycle was either his 3rd or maybe even 4th year applying and he has not been accepted. I am not saying this to discourage you , but rather to emphasize the importance of undergrad GPA and the fact that Grad GPA is often overlooked. I would work on your undergrad GPA until it is at least a 3.0-3.2 before considering grad school. And i would recommend a smp as well-. good luck, anything is possible.

No one mentioned the effect of the *academic suspension*. I think that even if you do pull that GPA up and get good scores on the DAT, you'd need to allow for some time to do related work/extracurriculars to show schools that it isn't going to stop you from pursuing dentistry.

Make sure you disclose the suspension when applying. Although you'd be red-flagged, not letting them know and them finding out later would jeopardize your chances even more.

As long as you start getting good grades from here on out, you will probably be fine! Some colleges may be understanding that you messed up, but as long as you show that you learned a far more valuable lesson from those mistakes they will be understanding. Obviously you have a high IQ and getting high grades won't be hard as long as you try, and some schools may see that you have some qualities that are really positive (learning from your mistakes and turning yourself around, it shows you're motivated and hard working)

ALso, if you get a high DAT score it can make up for your gpa and show that you are smart enough to handle the academics in dental school!

make sure you also have tons of extra-curriculars as well, it's not too late to turn your stats around!

I forgot to add, MOST schools look at improvement over the years. I know of lots of ppl that flunked classes in freshman year and got into dental and med schools!

well granted that i didn't have the best track record but i'm now finishing up my 2nd year at NYU.. here's a bit of advice.. i myself got into nyu with a 2.9 overall and 3.1 science. 20 dat/23 pat... and no interview =)
apply yourself NOW! you have prob a year to make up for your screw up. if you can bust all A's (if you're as smart as you claim you are..) and rock the DATs.. you'll at least have a nice story for your personal statement. basically.. it's you totally screwed up.. but having found your calling (dentistry/ortho/what have you) you applied yourself and did awesome.. thus proving to the schools that you really do have what it takes if you apply yourself given the right motivation. it means that you screwed up because of lack of interest and laziness rather than inability to get good grades. schools love students who are well rounded, which means start volunteering, research, everything and anything involved in dentistry. i had ****ty grades but i made it up by volunteering and working in a dental office, researched for 2 years, even went on a volunteer trip to jamaica to help poor people who are 50 and never saw a dentist! good luck!.. oh yea.. one more thing.. apply early!

post less on this site and study more, simple as that.

Try Meharry...And if other schools reject you, you can blast them with your frickin' argon laser. :smuggrin:

Hahahahahahahahahhahahahahh wow dude I think I crapped my pants from reading this. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAH wow. Argon laser lol. On a serious mate, good luck mate I wish you all the best just nail the DAT so highly and also consider doing a Dental Hygiene program and also do alot of shadowing hrs. peace.