This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BabyPanda

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I am in between getting a clinical job, but I have heard mixed things. I know that as a scribe you really get to see the interactions between the doctor and patients. Some people mention how helpful it is because one is able to get familiar with the medicine and the terminology used in notes. After all doctors take the majority of time taking notes! On the other hand, I have heard of the PCT (patient care technician). One of my friends mentioned it was similar to being a CNA which I do not mind. The patient care technician usually works with the nurses, but there is a lot of patient interaction! I have heard that being a scribe is so common now, and being a PCT would also be a unique experience that I could talk about during interviews, etc.

The other thing to note is that the scribe companies require a minimum of 8 hours per week and the PCT requires a 12 hour shift every two weeks. I think both are awesome opportunities, and I do not mind either one. I was just wondering which one would be a better fit that would help me in medical school? Any advice or comments are greatly appreciated!

Thank you :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
In my opinion I think you should do the scribe job. I can say confidently that working as a scribe is what motivated me and got me into medical school. Being able to work so intimately with physicians gives you unmatched experience, and depending on what kind of environment you work in will probably end up doing just as much stuff as a PCT would anyway.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Whichever one you think you could get more out of according to your own plan for applying.
The PCT really seems appealing, but I feel that I will not be able to get the experience of a scribe in that I will learn how to take notes and see the interactions of patient/physician. On the other hand, being a scribe lacks the patient interaction which I think is something valuable.

In your perspective, do you think scribing is not an original experience anymore since almost every premed does it these days?

The PCT really seems appealing, but I feel that I will not be able to get the experience of a scribe in that I will learn how to take notes and see the interactions of patient/physician. On the other hand, being a scribe lacks the patient interaction which I think is something valuable.

In your perspective, do you think scribing is not an original experience anymore since almost every premed does it these days?
Being a PCT also isn't exactly original. In fact, there's nothing wrong with being unoriginal. The goal is to get enough experience to convince us that you know what you're getting yourself into.

Either of these two jobs check that box. So if you're more interested in being a PCT, then go with that. If you think you would learn something extra by being a scribe, then go with that. You really can't go wrong with either one--they are both classic premed activities for a reason.

Being a PCT also isn't exactly original. In fact, there's nothing wrong with being unoriginal. The goal is to get enough experience to convince us that you know what you're getting yourself into.

Either of these two jobs check that box. So if you're more interested in being a PCT, then go with that. If you think you would learn something extra by being a scribe, then go with that. You really can't go wrong with either one--they are both classic premed activities for a reason.
That makes perfect sense! I guess I really like both positions, so I cannot choose. Thank you for your feedback :)

Depends on where you're a PCT, too. I'm an ICU RN and in some of the academic ICUs I've worked in nobody would blink at the PCTs listening in on rounds. Turn/wipe/clean on the medical floor in a non teaching facility is much less instructive.

Do what you think would be interesting and use that interest and experience to consolidate your narrative.