Scribing hours for shadowing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

arc5005

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I've been on these forums on and off for the past 2 years with the intention of applying to DO school. I'm pretty much only going to be applying to DO. I'm still putting it off until next cycle, but just wanted to get some advice.

I've shadowed a few MD physicians prior to my scribe work.

I've been scribing for about 8 months now, originally for 2 MD physicians (specialty) for about 4 months, and I now scribe full-time for a DO (family practice).

By the time I apply I'll have nearly 2,000 scribing hours for a DO physician, but not much in the terms of shadowing. Is this a big deal, or should I make an attempt to also obtain shadow hours? Can i allocate some of my clinical work hours towards shadowing? I will have a strong LOR from the DO I work for. Not really sure how much more effort I should put into trying to find other DOs to shadow, since I work full-time, and will be studying for the MCAT.

All advice is appreciated. thank you and best of luck to everyone else with their path.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Get a letter of rec from that DO and you should be fine, I would think no further shadowing necessary.

As @samac has said, the letter from the DO will be enough. Scribing is a great clinical experience, and you've already have put forth a bit of clinical volunteering. You should be good. I feel like once you start scribing, shadowing is a buzzkill.