Scrubs at NYU?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jlo26

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

For the ppl that go to NYU, do we get to wear scrubs because when I went to check out the school everyone was wearing their lab coats even when treating the patients. Thanks guys.

Members don't see this ad.

jlo26 said:
Hey guys,

For the ppl that go to NYU, do we get to wear scrubs because when I went to check out the school everyone was wearing their lab coats even when treating the patients. Thanks guys.

you're supposed to wear scrubs underneath or "professional" attire. Almost everyone in my class bought scrubs, but the majority don't wear them. I don't even know where mine are now adays....

hey phremius,

So we don't get to just wear scrubs (short sleeved)? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
At Michigan we wear a clinic coat over our scrubs. I'm sure most schools do this. If you had any idea how much blood and saliva is aerosolized by the high speed, you'd want to be wearing long sleeves.

jlo26 said:
hey phremius,

So we don't get to just wear scrubs (short sleeved)? Thanks.

walking around the school and going to class you can wear whatever the heck you want, spanning from PJs and slippers to scrubs to full decked out look at me skirt, blouses and Manolos.

in lab you can wear whatever as long as it's not shorts and closed toe shoes but you have to wear your labcoat on top.

In clinic it's labcoat + something professional underneath.

phremius said:
walking around the school and going to class you can wear whatever the heck you want, spanning from PJs and slippers to scrubs to full decked out look at me skirt, blouses and Manolos.

in lab you can wear whatever as long as it's not shorts and closed toe shoes but you have to wear your labcoat on top.

In clinic it's labcoat + something professional underneath.

Dude you are our trusted source of info regarding NYU. Thanks a bunch.

Watch out for phremius...he's not one to be really trusted...haha...jk. Better wear those closed toe shoes Mr. U.

Well....at NYU there really isn't a dress code...i know this one guy in my class who all the time wears his PJ and for some reason looks as if he doesn't even shower. Actually...come to think of it....he came in in boxer shorts and a fish net shirt for an examination. So....dress code is kind of out the door (at least for first year). Once in the other years....you need to progress to professional attire.

So when they say you need professional attire while working in the clinic, can you still wear sneakers?

Depends, you're not suppose to reallly but if you don't get caught, its not a big deal. If its not in clinic, most likely you can get away with it. I wore sneakers from time to time. Sometimes people wore jeans to clinic to see pts. It depends on which faculty is around and how anal they are about dress code.

Dr.Dudette said:
So when they say you need professional attire while working in the clinic, can you still wear sneakers?