sdf

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
i concur. i dont know how to write these letters without sending desperate and utterly pathetic :(

hey guys
i had this problem recently too (like on Monday). I searched the forums and found everything I could on the topic. I think mine came out pretty well. Here's the general format I used. The whole thing should not be longer than 1 page.

Dear Dr. X (Dean of Admissions, Director of Admissions, or whoever, try to find a specific person in the office),

Paragraph 1: I haven't heard back yet, I hope you are still considering my application. This is why I applied and this is why I like your school so much. blah blah blah.....

Paragraph 2/3: Here is what I am doing these days. Activities, grades, classes, internships, etc.......

Paragraph 4: Because of my _____ ........ (dedication to community service, etc)......., I believe I would be an excellent match at _______. Thank you for considering my application.

Sincerely,
Sign here
Your name
AMCAS #

Snail Mail or E-mail? I mailed all of mine out. I think its more professional. But I know some schools don't mind if you email them. Your call.

If anyone else wants to add to this and re-post, feel free to do so. I gathered bits and pieces of info on how to do it. I sent mine out this morning, so if the template I used is wrong, Im screwed ;)

Hope this helps!!!

do you think it's bad if I send a quick and dirty update? like...

To whom it may concern:

My grades are attached...please add them to my file...blah

This is the new stuff I'm doing...it's going to be great...blah

Thanks for your time and consideration

me
AMCAS#

I just don't think I have it in me to talk more abotu why I want to go to these schools

What kind of activity would be important enough to put in an update letter? I've been volunteering with the ambulatory clinic and brain tumor support group at the cancer agency, and had some physician shadowing experience outside the country. Should I talk about these things?

yes and yes. those are both great things to talk about.

so how should I send these update letters? snail mail? email? both?

I don't want to look unprofessional by sending an email, but I feel like email might be more reliable and more likely to actually be read and considered.

there's a string that lists a few schools that definitely take email updates...

look at my posting history to find it quickly..

fyi this thread is really helpful...I asked a similar question and now there's a pointless argument on the thread. Ugh. :p

hey guys
i had this problem recently too (like on Monday). I searched the forums and found everything I could on the topic. I think mine came out pretty well. Here's the general format I used. The whole thing should not be longer than 1 page.

Dear Dr. X (Dean of Admissions, Director of Admissions, or whoever, try to find a specific person in the office),

Paragraph 1: I haven't heard back yet, I hope you are still considering my application. This is why I applied and this is why I like your school so much. blah blah blah.....

Paragraph 2/3: Here is what I am doing these days. Activities, grades, classes, internships, etc.......

Paragraph 4: Because of my _____ ........ (dedication to community service, etc)......., I believe I would be an excellent match at _______. Thank you for considering my application.

Sincerely,
Sign here
Your name
AMCAS #

Snail Mail or E-mail? I mailed all of mine out. I think its more professional. But I know some schools don't mind if you email them. Your call.

If anyone else wants to add to this and re-post, feel free to do so. I gathered bits and pieces of info on how to do it. I sent mine out this morning, so if the template I used is wrong, Im screwed ;)

Hope this helps!!!

:thumbup: thank you, karakiz

do you think it's bad if I send a quick and dirty update? like...

To whom it may concern:

My grades are attached...please add them to my file...blah

This is the new stuff I'm doing...it's going to be great...blah

Thanks for your time and consideration

me
AMCAS#

I just don't think I have it in me to talk more abotu why I want to go to these schools

That's similar to what I wrote - so I hope its okay... I think it is fine as long as it sounds professional. I did add a line at the end that I am looking forward to hearing from the school as I am still very interested in attending next year.