SDN: relationship question?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bcurtis

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey again people,

I've been a part of this community for a while on two accounts now and I can honestly say that after reading about people's questions, stories, comments, concerns, and everything in between makes me view you guys/gals like friends.

Me and my now ex girlfriend just agreed to end a relationship, and even though it was a mere 2 years, we went through TONS together. I can say that this women put my butt in gear and ultimately caused me to strive for a career in medicine. Since she was such a cornerstone in my academic life, how do I not let our separation affect my school work?

This question may seem odd to some, and dramatic to others, but it is a honest concern that I feel may could even help someone else going through something similar out there.

So advice?

-Brett

Members don't see this ad.

I have a wife who I feel really got me into shape for the real world, so I can definitely understand. But something important to recognize about yourself... and it took me a while to see this.. Is that while yes, you grew and changed a lot in the past couple of years while in the relationship, recognize that you may or may not have grown just as much even without the relationship. There is no way to really tell how things would be different had you never met that person... As in, while your GF was there and was an integral part of your life; who is to say that she simply was not just the spark that inspired you to grow, not the continuous agent for growth and that resulted in where you are today. Who is to say that you would not have grown the same amount in that time because of some other life circumstance, or relationship? The fact that you grew and changed means that the potential was always there and that you were the one that ultimately made the choice to shape up your life. There are plenty of people in relationships who end up on either side of the coin, so you could have just as easily ended up way worse from the experience. Some people enter into a relationship and then become lazy or stagnant and end up lower than they were when they started. While others are compelled to make their life more meaningful and grow or whatever you want to call it. The difference isnt in who you are with, but in who you are. Sometimes it just takes someone else to be the agent of change that gets you started in the right direction and helps keep you moving when the trials come. Personally, my wife inspires me to be a better person and has been a major aspect of my path towards medicine, as well as just driving me to be a good man and better human being to others. I could argue that I would not be where I am without her (something similar to what you are saying). But does that mean then that I would not have had the growth that I have had over the past 6 years, if I had never met her? Had I never met her would I still be stuck at 18, and never left that region in my life? Would I not essentially be where I am now if she was never a part of my life? Who am I to say? Maybe I would have gone through all of this growth simply because of natural changes with age? Or maybe I would have grown from some other life circumstances, had I not met her? We really have no way of knowing these things. Ultimately though, you were the one that walked this path. You are here because of your own choices, motivation, and work. Sometimes it just takes someone (a spouse, mentor, family member, whatever) to aid in your direction. But in the end, once the direction is set, its all on you.

Appreciate it for what it is... use the life lessons that you gained through the relationship (both the beginning, middle, and ending of the relationship), but otherwise stay the course with what your own internal drive has worked so hard to achieve. She was the thing that may have helped you turn the corner on some aspects of your life. But YOU are the one that has done the hard work to get where you are and YOU are the one who ultimately made the decision to continue every day down this path. I am a firm believer that somehow or another you would have reached this path regardless. Call it destiny or fate or whatever cheesy thing that you can. But I truly believe that people will end up where they need to be but that there are plenty of different paths that may get you there.

Just keep your heading, do your work, and stay the course. Give things time, you will be able to be more introspective of this once you get through the initial separation. Times are certainly tough in the beginning.

Reactions: 8 users
Thanks you so much for a heart felt response. It really did speak volumes to me and I'm happy for you and your wife. Sounds like you guys got it together.

I have a wife who I feel really got me into shape for the real world, so I can definitely understand. But something important to recognize about yourself... and it took me a while to see this.. Is that while yes, you grew and changed a lot in the past couple of years while in the relationship, recognize that you may or may not have grown just as much even without the relationship. There is no way to really tell how things would be different had you never met that person... As in, while your GF was there and was an integral part of your life; who is to say that she simply was not just the spark that inspired you to grow, not the continuous agent for growth and that resulted in where you are today. Who is to say that you would not have grown the same amount in that time because of some other life circumstance, or relationship? The fact that you grew and changed means that the potential was always there and that you were the one that ultimately made the choice to shape up your life. There are plenty of people in relationships who end up on either side of the coin, so you could have just as easily ended up way worse from the experience. Some people enter into a relationship and then become lazy or stagnant and end up lower than they were when they started. While others are compelled to make their life more meaningful and grow or whatever you want to call it. The difference isnt in who you are with, but in who you are. Sometimes it just takes someone else to be the agent of change that gets you started in the right direction and helps keep you moving when the trials come. Personally, my wife inspires me to be a better person and has been a major aspect of my path towards medicine, as well as just driving me to be a good man and better human being to others. I could argue that I would not be where I am without her (something similar to what you are saying). But does that mean then that I would not have had the growth that I have had over the past 6 years, if I had never met her? Had I never met her would I still be stuck at 18, and never left that region in my life? Would I not essentially be where I am now if she was never a part of my life? Who am I to say? Maybe I would have gone through all of this growth simply because of natural changes with age? Or maybe I would have grown from some other life circumstances, had I not met her? We really have no way of knowing these things. Ultimately though, you were the one that walked this path. You are here because of your own choices, motivation, and work. Sometimes it just takes someone (a spouse, mentor, family member, whatever) to aid in your direction. But in the end, once the direction is set, its all on you.

Appreciate it for what it is... use the life lessons that you gained through the relationship (both the beginning, middle, and ending of the relationship), but otherwise stay the course with what your own internal drive has worked so hard to achieve. She was the thing that may have helped you turn the corner on some aspects of your life. But YOU are the one that has done the hard work to get where you are and YOU are the one who ultimately made the decision to continue every day down this path. I am a firm believer that somehow or another you would have reached this path regardless. Call it destiny or fate or whatever cheesy thing that you can. But I truly believe that people will end up where they need to be but that there are plenty of different paths that may get you there.

Just keep your heading, do your work, and stay the course. Give things time, you will be able to be more introspective of this once you get through the initial separation. Times are certainly tough in the beginning.

Members don't see this ad :)
You currently employed/volunteering in EMS right now? Most places offer free counseling through EAP...I would highly recommend using their services. There is no shame in seeking professional help, even if it is just to get things off your chest.

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah I thought about that, my school also has free counseling services that I'm strongly considering. I'm just giving everything a little time to settle initially. I'm pretty good at self realization so walking into counseling is not something I would be ashamed of.

I didn't expect this thread to get sooo much good advice! Thanks everyone.

You currently employed/volunteering in EMS right now? Most places offer free counseling through EAP...I would highly recommend using their services. There is no shame in seeking professional help, even if it is just to get things off your chest.

Thanks you so much for a heart felt response. It really did speak volumes to me and I'm happy for you and your wife. Sounds like you guys got it together.
I had the same thing, ending a 4 year relationship. Like you, we went through cross-country moves, big ups and downs in our lives and everything in between together. At the end of the day, we weren't happy together anymore so it was time to try and be happy apart for a while. It is especially important for those of us in our situations now to be with someone who is going to allow us to be a little uncertain and at times selfish when it comes to trying to find our place in a school, career etc. It seems a bit unfair to our SO's, but I feel it is necessary. Best of luck and I hope you are able to start working towards a better place soon!

Last edited:

Wow great speech! Couldn't agree more with everything said here.

I feel like I sense some guilt. Maybe that's my own projection. My husband of 6 years figuratively saved my life before I knew it needed saving ( from an abusive home life), and I shudder to think how I might handle things if I had to divorce him. But you know what? You probably affected your SO as much as she affected you. It works both ways and don't underestimate your own contributions to their self-actualization.

I like to think that I did. Education to us was on the back burner for a long time and when we got together we both definitely got our heads on right so yeah I can see what you're saying here.

I feel like I sense some guilt. Maybe that's my own projection. My husband of 6 years figuratively saved my life before I knew it needed saving ( from an abusive home life), and I shudder to think how I might handle things if I had to divorce him. But you know what? You probably affected your SO as much as she affected you. It works both ways and don't underestimate your own contributions to their self-actualization.