Continuing my relationship while in medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedGuy1776

Reaction score
I'm starting in July as an OMS-1 and my girlfriend is going to be commissioning in August and going on active duty orders in February for training for about 10 months or so. After that she'll be an infantry officer anywhere in the country or overseas.
I care about her a lot and I see her as a really really good fit for me because of how well we get along, our matching goals and personalities, and how patient and supportive she is and has been of me. My parents keep telling me to start medical school single especially since I'll be moving. She'll be staying near our undergrad to finish classes over the summer. We've talked a little bit about moving in together but we haven't made any official plans. She wouldn't be able to do so until August and then would move out in February. In all honesty, I don't see any reason to break up with her because of who she is, just that we'll be physically apart from each other for a long time. I see her as someone I could realistically marry and be happy with. I know that the Army will force us to be together by stationing her near me if we get married yet we're not ready to be married. (FYI I'm in the Army too)

Should I stay with her and try long distance with her? What experiences have y'all had out there with LDRs and balancing medical school?

Members don't see this ad.

Similar situation… I’m starting this fall and my SO is doing their own school somewhere else. I think what we discovered is to just try to make it work and take it a day at a time. There’s no good that comes out of breaking up in anticipation of separation if you believe you could potentially make it work. If you find out after a few months apart that it isn’t working, then maybe re-evaluate!

Reactions: 1 users
Similar situation… I’m starting this fall and my SO is doing their own school somewhere else. I think what we discovered is to just try to make it work and take it a day at a time. There’s no good that comes out of breaking up in anticipation of separation if you believe you could potentially make it work. If you find out after a few months apart that it isn’t working, then maybe re-evaluate!
That's facts. I appreciate the advice! I'm definitely opting for that.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm starting in July as an OMS-1 and my girlfriend is going to be commissioning in August and going on active duty orders in February for training for about 10 months or so. After that she'll be an infantry officer anywhere in the country or overseas.
I care about her a lot and I see her as a really really good fit for me because of how well we get along, our matching goals and personalities, and how patient and supportive she is and has been of me. My parents keep telling me to start medical school single especially since I'll be moving. She'll be staying near our undergrad to finish classes over the summer. We've talked a little bit about moving in together but we haven't made any official plans. She wouldn't be able to do so until August and then would move out in February. In all honesty, I don't see any reason to break up with her because of who she is, just that we'll be physically apart from each other for a long time. I see her as someone I could realistically marry and be happy with. I know that the Army will force us to be together by stationing her near me if we get married yet we're not ready to be married. (FYI I'm in the Army too)

Should I stay with her and try long distance with her? What experiences have y'all had out there with LDRs and balancing medical school?
same situation!! will be an oms 1 this july and my bf of 3.5 years is commissioning this august and moving away for training in October!! it's very scary but i dont think that if you found a solid person to be with that long distance is a good reason to break up. if theyre youre person then you guys will be able to make things like long distance work. if its meant to be then it will happen!

same situation!! will be an oms 1 this july and my bf of 3.5 years is commissioning this august and moving away for training in October!! it's very scary but i dont think that if you found a solid person to be with that long distance is a good reason to break up. if theyre youre person then you guys will be able to make things like long distance work. if its meant to be then it will happen!
same situation here as well! starting OMS1 in late July and moving 3.5 hour flight and 24 hour drive away from my SO of 4 years. As @eturch said it's a very scary thought but it if it is the right person, things will work out! More effort may be needed like virtual dates and stuff but in the world of technology it is possible!