SDNers MCAT performance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spanky

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you guys think overall that SDNer's on average score higher on the MCAT than others?

Also, have you guys already submitted your applications, or are you waiting to get your August scores?

Best o'luck!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I think SDN is more of a microcosm. Just like any other population, I think that you'll probably have more of a bell curve distribution with some SDNers scoring higher than others. As to whether or not the avg of the SDN population is higher than the avg of the general pool, I'd say that it probably is (by maybe 2 or 3 points) because we share info, strategies, etc. My $0.02

It's gotta be higher. Anyone who got under a 24 is either gonna
A) Run home and cry
B) not be serious to begin with
C) apply DO/dental (which could be on SDN)
D) all of the above

So probably 95% of the SDN population (especially pre-allo) is over a 24, while ~50% of the real world population is.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Neuronix
It's gotta be higher. Anyone who got under a 24 is either gonna
A) Run home and cry
B) not be serious to begin with
C) apply DO/dental (which could be on SDN)
D) all of the above

So probably 95% of the SDN population (especially pre-allo) is over a 24, while ~50% of the real world population is.

I really hate when people catergorize those with lower MCAT scores and assume that they are applying DO only because "supposedly" it is soooooooo much easier to get into DO schools. I know people who have applied witht 30+ scores to DO schools and have gotten rejected. DO schools are just as good as MD schools. It seems by the answer choices you have for your little question is that you are saying that DO applicants are not serious about becoming doctors?? Quite frankly that doesnt make sense since most DO applicants have strong EC activities involving hospital work and I think experience and dedication to what you want will make a person a better doctor then someone who gets a 35MCAT and 4.0 with absolutely no social skills. Im sorry if this post seems a little out of sort but I really cant stand when people place DO applicants and not being equally competitive as MD applicants..

I'm from the Philly area. Last time I looked, the average MCAT score for PCOM was 24, but the average MCAT score for every MD school in Philly was at least a 28. I'm not saying DO is inferior, I'm just saying that you can get in with a lower MCAT score.

Originally posted by SuzyQ

I really hate when people catergorize those with lower MCAT scores and assume that they are applying DO only because "supposedly" it is soooooooo much easier to get into DO schools. I know people who have applied witht 30+ scores to DO schools and have gotten rejected. DO schools are just as good as MD schools. It seems by the answer choices you have for your little question is that you are saying that DO applicants are not serious about becoming doctors?? Quite frankly that doesnt make sense since most DO applicants have strong EC activities involving hospital work and I think experience and dedication to what you want will make a person a better doctor then someone who gets a 35MCAT and 4.0 with absolutely no social skills. Im sorry if this post seems a little out of sort but I really cant stand when people place DO applicants and not being equally competitive as MD applicants..

DO schools will tend to reject people with stats such as 35mcat and 4.0gpa because most likely they wouldn't go anyway. I remember a school even admitting to doing this in some cases when they suspect MD students use DO schools as "backup" or "safety" schools.