SDN's first annual Test-Prep week

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mshheaddoc

Howdy
Moderator Emeritus
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
SDN is currently planning for “Test-Prep Week,” to be held in late spring. “Test-Prep Week” will be an online trade show right here on the SDN forums showcasing products, services and publications to help pre-health and health professional students prepare for various admissions and competency examinations. Please take a moment to tell us the following:

What type of exam preparation products are you interested in? (examples: MCAT, PCAT, licensure exams)

What test-prep companies would you like to see as exhibitors? (examples: Kaplan, The Princeton Review)

Do you have a personal contact with any company or organization that might want to be an exhibitor? If so, please PM that information to All4MyDaughter or mshheaddoc so we can follow up.

Thank you for your time!

Members don't see this ad.

Come on people, you guys are always talking test prep, this is your shot to tell us what you want to see! We haven't gotten alot of feedback. What type of test prep companies do you want to see?

Members don't see this ad :)
No one has any other companies or products they'd like to see on SDN?

It'd be nice if you could list the benefits of this tradeshow, I mean, other than earning money for SDN. :laugh:

There isn't any information about any of those companies you couldn't find online (either from their websites or through SDN forums)...

I personally don't see the purpose of it other than a glorified advertisement..

(And you already have all the "big" companies. The smaller they are, the worse the quality of their materials, as sad as that may be.)

First off, SDN doesn't get any benefit out of this.

Secondly, there are specific questions that can be answered that aren't found online. Since I've been able to have the opportunity to have Kaplan vs TPR in the same room with different reps to explain their product I feel that having a forum would help users understand the differences of both. Looking at them online on a website does the product no justice. The formats of the classes are different. Period.

Thirdly, we're just trying to find out what is out there for our users as there are more companies out there that might be small but some of the "old" ones used to be small too (ie EK). You never know what might be the "next big thing" which is why we are asking for feedback.

We at SDN maintain that this is a no pressure environment which is why we don't allow "advertising" directly on SDN forums. Now we are giving people one week to ask the questions that they might have for various products which you don't really have anywhere else.

Secondly, there are specific questions that can be answered that aren't found online. Since I've been able to have the opportunity to have Kaplan vs TPR in the same room with different reps to explain their product I feel that having a forum would help users understand the differences of both. Looking at them online on a website does the product no justice. The formats of the classes are different. Period.

I've had that same opportunity. Kaplan = more materials, more online stuff. TPR = more inclass hours, more printed stuff. TPR = more focused on drilling the content (why they have different teachers for each section). Kaplan = more focused on teaching you "strategy" (one teacher for all). Etc etc...

There are more differences, sure, but I don't think there's anything that test prep presenters could tell you that couldn't be better (i.e. more honestly) told by people who have experienced the course.

Thirdly, we're just trying to find out what is out there for our users as there are more companies out there that might be small but some of the "old" ones used to be small too (ie EK). You never know what might be the "next big thing" which is why we are asking for feedback.

When I bought EK, it was still "small" but I heard through others that it was the best for home study. Would I have paid the same attention to EK's own advertising - nope! Word-of-mouth is still the best advertisement for smaller companies.

Anyways, I think my POV is pretty clear, but I could always be wrong!

I've had that same opportunity. Kaplan = more materials, more online stuff. TPR = more inclass hours, more printed stuff. TPR = more focused on drilling the content (why they have different teachers for each section). Kaplan = more focused on teaching you "strategy" (one teacher for all). Etc etc...

There are more differences, sure, but I don't think there's anything that test prep presenters could tell you that couldn't be better (i.e. more honestly) told by people who have experienced the course.

Well that is why we have SDN, it provides the best of both worlds. For those people who don't get the opportunity to have these test prep companies come and discuss with them their products as well as having people who have used the product and what they have to say about it. Some people only took Kaplan or only took TPR or only did EK/Berkley Review, they can't compare all of them since they didn't use all the resources. But allowing a company to have open discussion about their materials online is a first for SDN as we have never allowed anything like this before. We feel why not let users hear it from the horses mouth. We have many users who eventually go on to teach at some of these resources and this might give them the opportunity to speak up as well. I have other visions for this product but that is for the future ;)

trozman said:
When I bought EK, it was still "small" but I heard through others that it was the best for home study. Would I have paid the same attention to EK's own advertising - nope! Word-of-mouth is still the best advertisement for smaller companies.

Anyways, I think my POV is pretty clear, but I could always be wrong!
You are right, WOM is the best deal which is why we are trying to get people to talk up these companies. Tell us which companies you've used and which ones were worth it. Which is why the MCAT forum is such a valuable resource for many.

Since we are only trying to come up with ideas that our users would like and utilize feedback like this is essential to SDN's success. We need feedback from users like yourself to tell if things are or aren't working!

And remember this isn't just for the MCAT, we're expanding it to every profession.

Say, What college do you go to cause you sure know a jolly lot about well everthing about the MCAT's!

Say, What college do you go to cause you sure know a jolly lot about well everthing about the MCAT's!

trying to contact:
Nova Press
MCat-prep.com (Dr. Ferdinand's Products)
Berkley Review

Thank you so much for the invitation. I am so sorry I didn't learn about it until late last night. The gesture is appreciated. Perhaps next go-around we can take part. It's a great idea to offer exposure to everything, so that the consumer can be a much better shopper.

trozman said:
(And you already have all the "big" companies. The smaller they are, the worse the quality of their materials, as sad as that may be.)

Brilliant second comment, but you couldn't be more incorrect in your first statement. As a point of history, I started writing prep materials about three years before Princeton Review started their MCAT course and about six years before ExamKrackers entered the scene. Princeton Review went on to buy a company I co-founded (Hyperlearning), so that they could have a more credible MCAT program. The credibility you bestow upon them has much to do with absorbing a small company that was similar to ours before being sold. Small companies have some great products, especially if they spend more on development and little on advertising.

Every year, we (Berkeley Review) add and/or upgrade between one hundred to two hundred passages to/in our collection. We take incredible pride in the answer explanations we write, because the reality is that nothing in materials matters more. You learn more going over questions than you do anywhere else. I assume you have never seen any of our materials.

We are definitely not big, and have no plans to become big. I know everyone of our students by name and there is a great satisfaction in that. We share their experience from anxious first day of class to getting that first acceptance letter to sweating out a waitlist. Getting big would lose that, and that's far too high a price to pay just to become rich. That's why we chose not to sell when a large corporate entity came courting us.

That said, I have to agree with your second comment whole-heartedly. But just because this site offers a material overview, doesn't mean members don't/won't/can't listen to the feedback of others. What a project like the prep materials week offers is a chance for someone who would normally miss out on having several options to get exposure and know what's out there. After exposure, they should start to ask members here about their experiences and draw their own conclusions. Personally, I am grateful and touched that our company was considered, because it might make ten or fifteen people who normally wouldn't know about us discover our existance.

My apologies for my impassioned response, but I have spent many all-nighters writing passages that incorporate multiple topics with answer explanations that discuss concepts, analysis, definitions, test-taking logic, mnemonics, and most of all speedy ways to do things. I am proud of the materials I've written and would put them up against anything on the market and bet my life they would lead a student to a better score on the exam. The quality of materials is measured in how they make a reader a better test-taker on MCAT passages and questions.

My apologies for my impassioned response, but I have spent many all-nighters writing passages that incorporate multiple topics with answer explanations that discuss concepts, analysis, definitions, test-taking logic, mnemonics, and most of all speedy ways to do things. I am proud of the materials I've written and would put them up against anything on the market and bet my life they would lead a student to a better score on the exam. The quality of materials is measured in how they make a reader a better test-taker on MCAT passages and questions.

I will compeltely agree with the above statement, and I will honestly say that their materials are top-class. I will recommend their products without any reservation, because I can personally vouch for their capabililties. Thank you very much Berkeley Review! I only wish I had known about you guys earlier and like you mention, these exhibitions/trade shows are extremely beneficial.