Searching for a Medical Director

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Butter5784

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm not a med student and I'm not sure if this is the best forum to post this in, but maybe someone in her can help me.

I'm a recruiter and I'm working with one of the nation's largest diagnostic labs. They have asked me to find a Medical Director, Pathology.

They want someone with 7 yrs experiance with a strong clinical pathology background. They want somone form a Pathology Lab and would love an MBA. The candidate must be board certified and willing to become certified in 8 Midwest States.....

My question is, where should I look for these people? Is there a popular forum out there just for pathologist? Does anyone know anyone who is looking for a position like this?

I would appriciate any assistance.

Dean Hansen
[email protected]

Members don't see this ad.

You're looking for a 40 year old CP pathologist who wants to leave where s/he's at? That's a rare and reclusive group. I don't think there's any of them here (active in SDN) and I don't know what kind of media they consume.

Try advertising on Bloomberg.com. They're probably surfing the web looking for a sign their retirement investments will ever recover.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not a med student and I'm not sure if this is the best forum to post this in, but maybe someone in her can help me.

I'm a recruiter and I'm working with one of the nation's largest diagnostic labs. They have asked me to find a Medical Director, Pathology.

They want someone with 7 yrs experiance with a strong clinical pathology background. They want somone form a Pathology Lab and would love an MBA. The candidate must be board certified and willing to become certified in 8 Midwest States.....

My question is, where should I look for these people? Is there a popular forum out there just for pathologist? Does anyone know anyone who is looking for a position like this?

I would appriciate any assistance.

Dean Hansen
[email protected]

The College of American Pathologists has a job board. You can try posting there (www.cap.org)

Thank you for the advice. It looks like it's over $200 to post a job for a month there. I'll continue to search...

Thanks...:)

Butter 5784 wrote:
"I'm working with one of the nation's largest diagnostic labs."
but doesn't want to advertise with CAP because it costs
"over $200 to post a job for a month"

Classic. Giant lab doesn't want to pay $200 to find a qualified pathologist. That's a sure sign they don't want to pay the pathologist what they're worth either.

Last edited:
Butter 5784 wrote:
"I'm working with one of the nation's largest diagnostic labs."
but doesn't want to advertise with CAP because it costs
"over $200 to post a job for a month"

Classic. Giant lab doesn't want to pay $200 to find a qualified pathologist. That's a sure sign they don't want to pay the pathologist what they're worth either.

lolz...my same thoughts.

I would say the lab is not the one who doesn't want to pay $200 to find a pathologist, it's the recruiting firm that doesn't want to pay $200. The lab is probably already paying the recruiting firm (or at least, will do so if someone is found).

For national recruitments, people generally advertise in pathology journals or on a website like the CAP's website or pathologyoutlines.

Yeah, I have a friend who is recruits for science jobs. He has little to no connection to the companies or labs, but he does get bonuses for placing people. He says he does most (if not all) of his recruiting over the internet, then phone. I'm not sure how much of an ad budget he has, if any.

I will not let your conciliatory spirit of mederation bring me down, yaah.

One of my friends is looking for a job... He has a diverse science background and is looking for work in industry.

Dral, do you think your friend might be interested in recruiting him? lol

http://help-i-need-a-job.blogspot.com/

I believe my friend recruits for the DC/Balto area, but I'll ask to make sure. If he does more national stuff, I'll pass the web address along to him.

I'm not sure how much my friend makes...I think he makes about 50k base plus bonuses. I think he only gets the bonus if the person stays on the job for at least 90 days. I'm not sure how much the labs pay.

Members don't see this ad :)
Getting board certified in 8 states is no simple feat. For one, many smaller states require you to show up IN PERSON and actually sit for an interview. I know Wyoming for a fact peppers you with ?s and if they smell weakness can drop your app on the spot. Some people actually recommend you retain legal counsel to help get your lic. in some states...

so, the issue would be what if you apply to the job but 1 of 8 states wont lic. you, could be 6mos-year of wasted time. And I would assume the company is paying for all this or it could be tens of thousands of $ out of pocket.

I would doubt you would find a solid candidate for this position easily.

Getting board certified in 8 states is no simple feat. For one, many smaller states require you to show up IN PERSON and actually sit for an interview. I know Wyoming for a fact peppers you with ?s and if they smell weakness can drop your app on the spot. Some people actually recommend you retain legal counsel to help get your lic. in some states...

so, the issue would be what if you apply to the job but 1 of 8 states wont lic. you, could be 6mos-year of wasted time. And I would assume the company is paying for all this or it could be tens of thousands of $ out of pocket.

I would doubt you would find a solid candidate for this position easily.

One of our fellows interviewed at a Mega-lab that apparently wanted them to get licensed in 35 states:eek:. The lab had an employee who's sole responsibility was to assist in licensing of the pathologists.

I believe my friend recruits for the DC/Balto area, but I'll ask to make sure. If he does more national stuff, I'll pass the web address along to him.

Thanks Dral! :)

Do these multi-state licensed pathologists work in a different state every few months??

Thanks Dral! :)

Do these multi-state licensed pathologists work in a different state every few months??

They probably just receive cases from out-of-state.

Somewhat relatedly...

I'm curious on how much time off people on this board have taken (or have known people to take) between training and starting that first "real" job. I know not having healthcare coverage is an issue.

Sounds like 1 - 2 months is about average (if any is taken at all!).

Somewhat relatedly...

I'm curious on how much time off people on this board have taken (or have known people to take) between training and starting that first "real" job. I know not having healthcare coverage is an issue.

zero

the cash doesn't fall out of the sky

2 weeks. I was given the option to start immediately or whenever I wanted, although if it was going to be more than a month they were going to ask a few more questions. I was not interested in more than 2 weeks.

Somewhat relatedly...

1 month for me.