Seating arrangements

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rogue Synapse

The Dude Has Got No Mercy
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I've decided that making it to med school involves pre-selecting for anal retentiveness. I like to sit in a different seat every day - keeps me on my toes, makes me pay attention. Invariably (because I arrive early), someone arrives and bitches that I'm taking their seat, and could I please move. Well, since I'm a veritable transposon of seating arrangement, I don't have my "own seat" in the lecture hall - where am I going to flee to? It's pretty packed on most days (surprisingly), and I'm always pissing someone off whereever I sit.

This morning, some ass in my class really got pissed off and acted like a primadonna about his seat in front of everyone. I'm thinking, though I graciously moved, that he came away looking like the ass.

/rant

Members don't see this ad.

You're a good one. I wouldn't have moved. Its not elementary school...we dont have assigned seating. I sit in the same seat everyday but there have been a couple of times that people sit in my seat. What do I do? I just sit in the seat next to it, no big deal.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm impressed someone asked you to move. I used to do the same as you, but all I got was dirty looks. Then I stopped coming to lecture entirely. I was a much happier person.

So, I've decided that making it to med school involves pre-selecting for anal retentiveness. I like to sit in a different seat every day - keeps me on my toes, makes me pay attention. Invariably (because I arrive early), someone arrives and bitches that I'm taking their seat, and could I please move. Well, since I'm a veritable transposon of seating arrangement, I don't have my "own seat" in the lecture hall - where am I going to flee to? It's pretty packed on most days (surprisingly), and I'm always pissing someone off whereever I sit.

This morning, some ass in my class really got pissed off and acted like a primadonna about his seat in front of everyone. I'm thinking, though I graciously moved, that he came away looking like the ass.

/rant

There is a very funny thread about medical class seating arrangements complete with a seating chart. Do a search and see if you can find it. The posts by EvoDevo are especially funny. It's under this forum.

If I'm sitting behind you and you punch that guy, it never happened as far as the cops are concerned.

Seriously people, it isn't your seat. It is the school's seat. You want it, get there before I do. If you whine this much about your seat, what are you going to do in conference every morning, or on rounds.
"Dude, I always stand next to the second year."
"I don't care"
"Well, then I'm going to knock your Starbucks out of your hand when we go around the next corner"

People, remove the stick. Unless you have an eyeball condition that only allows you to see the screen from that one seat, then suck it up and move along.

Don't you floaters have classmates you know well enough to sit next to on a regular basis? When I was attending lecture I always looked at the floaters as something akin to a gang of roving lepers that were outcast by society, perhaps too ashamed of their pungeant body odor to settle down and subject themselves to the scrutiny of the same group of people sitting next to them every day.

When I had my usual seat taken I was always more annoyed that it interfered with my ability to sit next to my friends, especially when we are going to have multiple lectures in a row and there are only a few empty seats scattered around the auditorium, making a mass exodus of my group impossible.

Don't you floaters have classmates you know well enough to sit next to on a regular basis? When I was attending lecture I always looked at the floaters as something akin to a gang of roving lepers that were outcast by society, perhaps too ashamed of their pungeant body odor to settle down and subject themselves to the scrutiny of the same group of people sitting next to them every day.

When I had my usual seat taken I was always more annoyed that it interfered with my ability to sit next to my friends, especially when we are going to have multiple lectures in a row and there are only a few empty seats scattered around the auditorium, making a mass exodus of my group impossible.

Why does it matter who you sit next to? Shouldn't you be paying attention to the lecturer anyway?

I sometimes find it a distraction to sit next to my friends and often move as far to the front of the lecture theatre in order to absorb more information. :laugh:

Why does it matter who you sit next to? Shouldn't you be paying attention to the lecturer anyway?

Sure, theoretically. I guess I always found it most annoying when we had 3 or 4 lectures in a row with 10-15 minute breaks between each of them. It's a little harder socializing with your friends when you need to seek them out at the end of each lecture because some Floater who is convinced that they pay better attention simply by changing chairs took my usual spot. In this case I think my interest in socializing with my classmates is a little less unusual than the Floater's dogged insistence on what amounts to a placebo effect.

I am so glad we don't have this problem. That's b/c at least half of us are never in class! A few weeks ago after a gross exam I swiveled my chair sideways, stuck my legs through the seat next to me, rocked back, and took a nap. The way our lecture hall is, if you do this in the back the lecturer cannot see you. The whole seating issue is, well, a non-issue.