Second and Hopefully Last Time Applying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Demiurge

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
-

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Well I'd say that your application is relatively fine. Your Gpa and mcat are pretty strong. I think your EC's are pretty good and shows your lively. I'm going to say apply apply apply, get a MSAR or use the selector application ( removed ) if you need to choose a few more schools. But yes, add a few more schools because you're applying too 1 school that is almost 99.9% unlikely to accept you ( brown) and 4 that get over 20k applicants ( NYMC,BU,GTOWN,GWU). So you're going to seriously need to find some more and better schools to apply too and stat.

What is your state of residency anyway?

Last edited:
Well unfortunately I'm not familiar with many specific schools. So maybe apply to UMD and a few SUNY schools. Maybe a few private institutes. Not applying to DO is alright if that is something you're not interested in. Though it is going to limit your chances and I personally would apply to a few just to make sure that there doesn't need to be a 3rd cycle.

Last edited:
Check out schools like UMiami and Case, I think you have a pretty good spread in your list.

Your shadowing looks great, but your clinical experience is subpar if you only have 2 hours per week for less than a year. Maybe you could ramp up yor efforts in mending that hole? Any teaching, leadership, or nonmedical community service to list? If not, there is more room for improvement. The research sounds fine, though.

With a 3.5 ish GPA/32 MCAT, other schools close to your stats range with a good OOS acceptance rate that you might also consider:

Loyola, RFU, UKentucky, Creighton, SUNY Downstate, Hofstra (new), MCW,
UIllinois, Wayne, Buffalo, Toledo, VCU, Virginia Tech Carilion (new),
FIU, Louisville, Tulane, MUSC, SCarolina, EVMS,
Rush, Michigan State, Oakland (new),
Commonweath MC (PA).

From your list you're most likely to get attention from the bolded below:
Penn State
University of Virginia
University of Connecticut
University of Vermont
Boston University
University of Rochester
Albany
Drexel
Jefferson
George Washington
Albert Einstein
New York Medical
Georgetown
Tufts
Dartmouth
Brown

For me to "predict" a possible interview offer (guesstimate might be a better word), you'd have needed 3 more MCAT points for BU and 2 for UConn.

Most med schools give value to research experience, and the ones I didn't highlight particularly seem to value a more substantive background of 2+ years. If you get past the numbers screening that comes first in the admissions office, schools that seem unlikely based on stats may indeed be sufficiently impressed with your added expertise to offer an interview. Unfortunately, that component isn't as reliable for forecasting purposes.