Second baccalaureate or masters

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

roybot

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I've been reading around the forums quite a bit, namely the under 3.0 club (gives me some hope! lol)

Here's my situation:
Graduated UCR in 2007 w/ a B.S. in environmental science. (cgpa: 2.765 ScienceGPA: 2.3:()
Took all my prereqs for dental school and did not do very well in them except in a few classes.
Now here's the dilemma... Is it best to pursue a second baccalaureate in biology to improve my GPA and to retake some of my C's and a D in the bcmp classes? I know the retakes will only average the gpa and not replace them.
OR
Enter a Masters program in a hard science or MPH program and do really well in those classes and also retake some of my prereq classes I did bad in.

I have not taken the DATs yet.

Are there any other options for me to consider?
I've heard of SMPs and post-bac programs but I'm not sure if I qualify for those.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Welcome to the club :)

I think you can start by registering as a non-degree student to pull up your GPA for one year, and then decide whether you wanna do master or second degree. That way, you can meet the GPA requirements for master's/postbac and at the same time, you can use the credits towards your second degree if you decide to pursue a second bachelor degree.

I thought I could just fly with Cs in prerequisite courses, but apparently, you need solid grades in foundation courses. You should definitely repeat courses you got Ds in, but I dont think it's easy when you are doing masters.